Inline speed skating

Inline speed skating

Postby akiman911 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello fellow tippers- just wondering if anyone does dryland inline skating over the off-season.

Since I only get 5-10 ski days a year I have to compensate by whipping out the old: Image

If not I just wanted to advocate and encourage you guys to try it for your skiing fix, it helps greatly with inside foot tipping + management ( particularly if youre doing a double push (http://www.nettracing.com/step1.htm)). And definitely has a lot of shared technique with PMTS, keeping upperbody stabilized, and drastic tipping of inside foot on outside edge. Don't forget doing awesome Slalom turns downhill !

Note how speed skates have a low ankle cuff to allow for extreme pro/suppination of the ankles.

Maybe a more experienced PMTS'er can draw some similarities between skiing/skating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynCFKRLX_c
akiman911

Re: Inline speed skating

Postby krazzy legs » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:57 pm

There are differences when a ski is tipped & put on edge the ski bends which causes the ski to turn. When an inline skate is tipped so the edge of the wheel is in contact with the black powder the skate does not bend to help the skate turn. I think there has to be active rotary to get turns on inline skates ? I inline skate I do use counter balance when skates are tipped on edge as well as counter acting but I kinda think active rotary is used when I do salmon turns with in line skates, Although the unwinding of the counter acting is not really active rotary. When skiing the unwinding of the counter acting along with the ski bending to aid in the turn no active rotary is needed. Though inline skating does help with balance, counter acting, counter balance & one foot skiing,
krazzy legs

Re: Inline speed skating

Postby polecat » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:25 am

krazzy legs wrote:There are differences when a ski is tipped & put on edge the ski bends which causes the ski to turn. When an inline skate is tipped so the edge of the wheel is in contact with the black powder the skate does not bend to help the skate turn. I think there has to be active rotary to get turns on inline skates ?...

No rotary input is needed for skates. It's pretty much impossible to to rotate a skate, road or ice, into a turn (other than a skittering skid).

Inline skates, like motorcycles and bicycles, turn by tipping them over, rolling up the sidewalls of the tire and generating lateral force in a process called camber thrust.

Try skating in a straight line and then actively counter balance and counteract, without any rotary input at all. Just as with skis, you'll start turning.

It's not easy to see during normal skating because you dedicate so much of your movement to propulsion rather than purely turning. But if you can find a long, gradual slope where you don't need to push off at all you can "ski" it with PMTS movements. (Which is why there are a bunch of PMTS exercises on skates.)
polecat

Return to Fitness