Let the new season begin!

Re: Let the new season begin!

Postby geoffda » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:42 am

Looking forward to making some turns with you soon HA. The last storm left almost 3 feet up here so things are starting to look more normal for November. Conditions are pretty good!
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm

HighAngles wrote:
I've lost over 40 lbs. and gained significant strength and stamina.

That is HUGE!!! Your skiing is going to soar. Congrats!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 pm

jbotti wrote:That is HUGE!!! Your skiing is going to soar. Congrats!!

JB is right on. Skiing is a sport where a good strength to weight ratio really pays off. Dropping weight and keeping, or possibly increasing strength as it sounds like you have, will give you huge rewards on the mountain. Good for you. I can't wait to see the results in your skiing.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Matt wrote:I tried skiing on a keto diet. Not fun. Fill your glycogen stores before skiing.

If you're truly fully keto-adapted then there is no issue at all skiing (or doing anything else athletic) while following a keto diet. About the only thing that you would have a possible problem with is absolute peak anaerobic performance situations. On the contrary, the beautiful thing about keto is the almost limitless supply of energy that you now have on hand since your body is now a fat burning machine.

My cardio workouts are a "Navy Seals Boot Camp" that combines swimming and calisthenics. We swim about 1500-2000 yards mixed in with pushups, situps, burpees, lunges around the pool, etc. I've never felt like I hit the wall on energy since my body is no longer dependent on glucose stores for my activity level.

When doing keto it's important to measure your blood ketone level to really know where you are in your keto adaptation. It's expensive (~$2 per testing strip), but it's the only way to truly know without guessing. The most surprising thing for me to learn was just how little protein is actually necessary in your diet and how too much protein can have quite a disastrous impact on keto dieting. I can't go beyond 100g of protein per day and my sweet spot is really around 75g.

I don't really want to get into a debate about the merits of keto here. It was the right choice for me and I really enjoy this way of eating (WOE). There are members of this forum that can attest to my energy and strength levels since adopting a keto diet. My first day on snow yesterday was amazing - I skied almost 20K of vertical and hit it hard through most of the day. I've never been able to do that in previous seasons on day #1. Oh, and the snow was magnificent too!
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Yea, but you still can't chip or putt ;)
CO_Steve

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:33 pm

HighAngles wrote:
Matt wrote:I tried skiing on a keto diet. Not fun. Fill your glycogen stores before skiing.

If you're truly fully keto-adapted then there is no issue at all skiing (or doing anything else athletic) while following a keto diet. About the only thing that you would have a possible problem with is absolute peak anaerobic performance situations. On the contrary, the beautiful thing about keto is the almost limitless supply of energy that you now have on hand since your body is now a fat burning machine.

My cardio workouts are a "Navy Seals Boot Camp" that combines swimming and calisthenics. We swim about 1500-2000 yards mixed in with pushups, situps, burpees, lunges around the pool, etc. I've never felt like I hit the wall on energy since my body is no longer dependent on glucose stores for my activity level.

When doing keto it's important to measure your blood ketone level to really know where you are in your keto adaptation. It's expensive (~$2 per testing strip), but it's the only way to truly know without guessing. The most surprising thing for me to learn was just how little protein is actually necessary in your diet and how too much protein can have quite a disastrous impact on keto dieting. I can't go beyond 100g of protein per day and my sweet spot is really around 75g.

I don't really want to get into a debate about the merits of keto here. It was the right choice for me and I really enjoy this way of eating (WOE). There are members of this forum that can attest to my energy and strength levels since adopting a keto diet. My first day on snow yesterday was amazing - I skied almost 20K of vertical and hit it hard through most of the day. I've never been able to do that in previous seasons on day #1. Oh, and the snow was magnificent too!

I´m not arguing against keto HA, I have maintained a body fat percentage of 6-7% for years largly due to it. I have skied maybe a hundred days in various levels of glycogen depletion, and I notice a definite difference. The simple fact is that to produce lactic acid you need carbs and during an intensive skiing day I produce lactic acid.
You can actually eat carbs without loosing the keto advantage, see e.g. http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nut ... n-co-exist or http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health ... e-exercise
Matt

Postby theorist » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:47 pm

HighAngles wrote: I've lost over 40 lbs. and gained significant strength and stamina.

Yeah, big congratulations, that is huge. I don't feel like I can move freely on skis when I'm even 10 lbs. over (not to mention the difference on my joints).

So is that 40 lbs. less than your ski weight last year? If so, it's going to completely change the feel of your skis -- ones that felt too soft for you before may now feel just right. I'll be interested to hear what you find.

...and speaking of the new season, if anyone attended the recent Loveland or Keystone demo days, and would like to post a report in the gear forum .....
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 am

Have you been working out this summer? Are you in shape and ready for the rapidly approaching ski season?

PMTS - A Fitness Program Worth Doing
Max_501

Previous

Return to Fitness