muscle soreness? age related? statins?

muscle soreness? age related? statins?

Postby hayduke » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Well,I am as ancient as HH but not holding up nearly as well. Just the past 4 months I have had severe muscle soreness for days after even what used to be moderate workouts. Things like running steps,plyos,jumps,are perhaps to be expected, but even riding the bike produces quad pain that lasts for days (and glutes,hams,calves to a lesser degree). I am hoping that maybe it is due to statins since that is probably reversible. Anyone else have any ideas ?
hayduke

Re: muscle soreness? age related? statins?

Postby kirtland » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Hayduke,
I am 61 and deal with the same situation. It is a symptom of declining low Testosterone levels, among other things it could be. I'm going to see my Physician again about it again this week. He tested for Testosterone levels last year and they recorded normal. I have read up about it more lately and from what I've read, there needs to be a distinction made between free Testosterone and total Testosterone. Although my Testosterone levels measured normal I have all the symptoms of low Testosterone, so I'm going to see if he'll do another blood test checking for free Testosterone. That may be something you may want to look into.
Kirtland
kirtland

Postby Zippy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:54 am

Heyduke, try an exercise program that is more gradual. Takes time to condition your muscles. Talk to Dr. about statins, maybe you can switch brands, take lower dose, etc. Also, don't expect too much. We old guys aren't what we used to be.
Zippy

Postby tburtonwire » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:23 am

Hey Zippy, where do you live? I am from Urbandale. I didn't know anyone else in Iowa was interested in PMTS, just happy skidding down ice at Keystone.
tburtonwire

Postby hayduke » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:01 pm

follow up. quit statins. no soreness.skied 10 days. no soreness. cause:statins.qed
hayduke

Postby rstraker » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Yeah, I believe that statins are bad news.

And not necessary -- you can often get similar results with fish oil and niacin protocols.

But they sure are well-marketed. They're the best-selling category of medication.
rstraker

Postby arothafel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Agreed... Statins can be ugly. You also can ask your doc about red yeast rice. But weather on statins or RYR, most over 50 should also consider taking Co Q10.
arothafel

YOGA

Postby mvalbusa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:29 pm

I have seriously been into Yoga and swimming the last few yeas on a regular basis. I swear Yoga is a cure all, especially for sore backs and aching pains.
Find a really good place and do some Hatha Yoga- alignment based. Give it 6 months/ 3 times a week and you will be a new person.
Hope this helps.
mvalbusa

Return to Fitness