Best Ski Workout: VMO Circuit

Best Ski Workout: VMO Circuit

Postby jbotti » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:28 pm

This is the single best exercise for ski season prep and it is a bear!! I was given this as an exercise to do 4 times a week in PT after I hurt my knee. I started out doing 30 seconds in each position and attempting to accomplish 3 circuits. The exercise is called a VMO circuit as it focuses on the quads and specifically on the Vastus Medialis.

Initially I reccomend starting with 30 seconds in each position and working up to three sets where each position is held for 60 seconds. Once this is mastered, doing all the positions except for the linebacker squats on a slant board (heel higher than toes) will increase the intensity. I got to the point where I could do 4 sets on a slant board at 60 seconds in each position.

If you do this circuit 3 times, 3-4 times per week in conjunction with your regular tarining, you will be wonderfully prepared for ski season!!

Here is the link: http://www.box.net/public/rdn2e08t7s

If you have trouble understanding any of it PM me and I will try to explain.

Crank these hard from now until Dec 1, and you will be ready.

Enjoy!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Best Ski Workout: VMO Circuit

Postby Larry_in_ME » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Hello jbotti,

I do these exercises 5 days a week, all except the 1 legged squat. I also bike about 50 miles a week (12+ miles a day, 4 times a week).

You mention "slant board". I do I use a slant board for the exercises?

Thanks in advance for your time :)
Larry_in_ME

Return to Fitness