Fall preparation for new season

Postby Mac » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 am

NCN, Harald offers some great advice on ski related fitness training on his website, harbskisystems.com. Check it out by going to the Dryland Training section. He also has a very interesting article about the benefits of cycling and how it relates to skiing activities. Go to Harald's Previous Articles on the main page, I think it was the August 2005 addition. As far as biking over the summer is concerned, I know it makes a tremendous difference in getting me ready for the ski season. Not only does it help me stay in shape, but it also helps me keep the weight off, which is always a problem for me. A few extra pounds of unwanted body fat can have a huge negative impact on the slopes, as well as on your joints and muscles. Try skiing around with 10-15 lbs. of weight in a backpack for a day and see how you feel at the end of a day. If you're serious about skiing, it's well worth the effort to keep it off.
Mac

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:04 pm

I used to bike a lot, then layed off. In fact HH's posts helped me kick back into it. About the 10-15 lbs extra --- been there, plus! This season I should be 20-30 lbs less than the last few. About 5-10 left to go before the season starts. About the only thing marginally good about extra pounds is for crud smashing.
NoCleverName

Postby 4Slide » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:07 pm

The several mentions of cycling reminded me of the article summarizing Bergmuller's approach to training Maier among others in Skiing Magazine. (I tried to link to it, but it doesn't seem to work.) Bergmuller has a full article that I believe has not been translated yet. It is very interesting that he relies so much on aerobic training and cycling in particular. Maier also skis so much that other types of crosstraining may be less beneficial to him than they would to skiers who only get 20 or 30 days in a year on snow, of course.
-J
4Slide

Postby Icanski » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:00 pm

I had read that after his accident he would spend up to 8 hours on the exercise bike for every hour on snow. He has a book on his training technique you can get from his website. I also saw his biography in the bookstores (right next to HH's books) and the xrays from his terrible fall are just scary!
He uses a power meter for lots of his work and can pedal at 300watts for hours at a time. Unbelievable.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby 4Slide » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:25 am

Bump, more or less that time of year again.
-J
4Slide

Re: Fall preparation for new season

Postby 4Slide » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:00 am

Bump, a little earlier this year. I'm getting older so need to be mindful of being in shape earlier and earlier. :lol:
-J
4Slide

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Had my first really good ride today since surgery. My leg felt for the first time like it was contributing, so I could actually spin on easy hills. I’m not pushing yet, but this is encouraging, as since my surgery, I felt really out of balance with my cadence.
h.harb

Postby Mac » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

I hear you, 4Slide, the older you get, the harder it gets. But as Harald once said, the best way to stay in shape is to never get out of shape. I never really have an off season when it comes to working out, my routine varies from season to season, depending on what the weather permits, but I always have a plan in place. At the beginning of last ski season, I had to have some surgery myself, was laid up for the better part of a month, and pretty much had to start all over from scratch. I know a lot of people that don't think about getting in shape til a few weeks before the season starts, that doesn't work for me. I think that a minimal fitness level equates to minimal performance on the slopes. I know my forced layoff last winter sure affected my performance.
Mac

Postby Rod9301 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:37 am

Why no heavy weights for legs?

I find that working with heavy weights( I'm 185, so for me, 3-4 sets of 600 lbs on the leg press works well.

And just for reference, competitive skiers train with heavy weights and it doesn't seem to hurt them.
Rod9301

Postby Max_501 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:47 am

Rod9301 wrote:Why no heavy weights for legs?

Because its not necessary for expert skiing.

Rod9301 wrote:And just for reference, competitive skiers train with heavy weights and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Because it is necessary for WC racing.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Fitness