Fall preparation for new season

Fall preparation for new season

Postby Harald » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:10 pm

If you haven't been dedicated this summer it's not too late to get some conditioning for the winter.

I am changing my program from my summer program of biking five days a week, to three days and putting more time in the weight room, rock climbing, uphill running and some tennis.

Rock climbing for overall and core strength, flexibility, agility.
Tennis for movement, reflexes, hip strength, lateral movement.
Uphill running for hampstring, glutes, lower back, aerobics.
Weight room, for abs, lower back, core, upper body.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Postby Mac » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:47 pm

I think a well rounded year round fitness program is the only way to go, particularly as you get older. I see some of my ski buddies that are younger than I am trying to get into shape for ski season at the last minute, and it just doesn't work. I was lucky that I got hooked on working out in my early thirties, after having spent my school age years playing football, basketball, hockey, and baseball. I would hate to think where I would be now if I hadn't. Certainly not skiing at the level I am now at age 54. And I'll be the first to admit that one of the main things that motivates me now is the fear of getting older. I want to continue what I'm doing for as long as I can. I'm having way too much fun to throw in the towel anytime soon.
Mac

spammers

Postby midwif » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 pm

uh, oh
They're back.
midwif

Postby Hobbit » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Yes, that was a spammer post.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Biking

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm debating about which type of cardio equipment to purchase. I've ruled out a treadmill due to the adverse effect on the hips, but wonder if an eliptical would be OK in stead of a stationary bike?? Could somebody please help. Thanks, Bob
Laugh in the sunshine....sleep in the stars.
Bob

elliptical

Postby midwif » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:17 pm

Based on nothing but my personal preference, I find the elliptical machine a really decent workout. I deliberately pull back on the arms during heavier loads for tricep work and like the non pounding on the knees.
I switch from short runs 2-4 miles several times a week to the elliptical machine in cold weather.
midwif

check out the concept rower

Postby hayduke » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:25 pm

it gets all the leg flexors and extensors plus abs, upper and lower back, and biceps. just throw in a few push-ups and you are covered.
hayduke

Postby NoCleverName » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:10 pm

The elliptical, at least the health-club variety I'm familiar with, certainly is more versatile than a bike. You can program it for varying resistance, run it both forwards and backwards, the various heights work slightly different muscle groups, plus, if you use it "no hands", there's a balance component.

Additionally, the upright stance is more "ski-like" and you won't have to quit early because of saddle sores or wrist problems.

On the other hand, if you already have a bike you are comfortable on, getting a rolling trainer for it would be a lot cheaper.

I heard Mier basically rebuilt himself on a bike trainer, so it must work.

In any event, having a small fan to play on you so that you're not dripping sweat is important not only for comfort but it makes for a better workout, too.
NoCleverName

or run

Postby John Mason » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Last year I ran throughout the winter. I hate elliptical training indoors. They have socks and shirts with silver thread that spread your heat around so that even when it's 8 out you can run comfortably (and was the temp at a 5k run I did here last December)

The non-impact - impact debate is one I used to buy into - or will buy into again. Runner's world recently quoted some long term studies that seem to conclude that running and the joint pounding create a response in the body that give older runners lower incidence of joint problems than non-runners. Or are the ones that can actually run pre-selecting themselves for the studies result because they don't have joint problems in the first place? If I'm waffling it's because I do get some temporary joint problems when my mileage is in the 50 range per week. At the 30 to 40 range per week I don't seem to have a problem.

I also bike but picked up the running so that I could continue a steady workout even in crap weather and in the winter evenings when biking would even be unsafe. (it's not like I can ski every week here in Indiana)
John Mason

Postby Harald » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:12 pm

John, I think the pounding of running definitely hardens and makes bone more dense, but the off setting down side may not be worth the benefits, for some people.
"Maximum Skiing information, Minimum BS
Harald

Re: or run

Postby NoCleverName » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:00 pm

John Mason wrote: my mileage is in the 50 range per week. At the 30 to 40 range per week I don't seem to have a problem

By the way, John, is your marathon a qualifying event for Boston?
NoCleverName

Postby Mac » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Every year around this time when it gets increasingly difficult or impractical to get out on the bike, I say I'm going to try and get out and run at least twice a week in addition to my weight work to keep up my aerobic conditioning. But I too am getting concerned about the negative effects outweighing the benefits, especially as I get older. I know of guys that I bike with that were hardcore runners that had to give it up under the advice of their doctors because of damage to their joints. By the same token, I have shied away from using free weights. Too much risk of damaging joints and ligaments. I found I had numerous nagging injuries that just didn't go away because I was constantly reinjuring myself. Aside from ocassionally using dumbells, my workouts now consist mostly of using my Totalgym, as well some other equipment I keep in my basement, and I feel as though I'm in better shape now than I have ever been in. I'm convinced that regular exercise is a must, particularly as we age. The older we get the more important it is for someone that wants to maintain an active lifestyle. I think we just have to be smarter about it.
Mac

Postby NoCleverName » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Mac, you've hit on the head the risk/reward factor as age goes up. One thing seems certain for me, though: skiing isn't "exercise". In the sense that I can tell if I just ski for a few days without intermediate gym work, my "ski conditioning" actually goes down.

I agree with avoiding "heavy" weight work. I concentrate on a lot of reps rather than weight (unless I really want something a bit stronger ... but those tend to be non-ski oriented muscles).

I've done more on the bike this year, we'll see how it translates into ski strength. I have read somewhere that running is pretty much useless for skiing .... not sure why.

Since HH rails about balance, I've tried to invent some exercises that strengthen the opposite of the normal "power" leg muscles. The idea being you need strength to get out of unbalanced situations. Not sure if this is really helpful but it seems to relieve the soreness of just working on the power side.

Could really use some guidance on just how much a recreational skier should do for fitness ... the programs in the ski mags seemed oriented to youngs guys intending to jump off cliffs or something.

If nothing else, anything that works on range of motion seems important for us geezers. That's were I see a lot of problems in others: the limbs move just as quick as before, but not as far.
NoCleverName

reponse for noclevername

Postby John Mason » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Yes - they are both qualifying for Boston - not that I'm trying to get a 3:35 time it to qualify at my age. I'm just going to finish on this - my first time out.

I'm signed up for Indy and Chicago on adjacent days. I would really rather do Chicago, but it looks like I'll be driving that day to NYC for a trade show which means I'll be doing Indy - which is a hilly course compared to Chicago which is basically flat.

I can maintain an 8:30 pace on trails for 5 miles without a problem. A 4 hour marathon is a 9:10 pace. But my longest run has been 22 miles of which 16 were trails. So I don't know how the marathon will go. In that long run I did not have enough water/gateraid with me so I pretty much bonked at 17 miles. I'm hoping with the constant sag stops on the marathon I can keep hydrated and surgared up.

Thus I don't know if a 3:35 time for a boston qualifyer is doable or not. I'd be happy with any time right around 4 hours personally. (I only started running 1 year ago so this is kinda like my 'graduation' to do a marathon at all)
John Mason

Re: reponse for noclevername

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:03 am

John Mason wrote:Yes - they are both qualifying for Boston

Just wondering if I was going to see you over there --- no, I can't run it. :wink:. I'm the start captain in charge of the grid in Hopkinton.
NoCleverName

Next

Return to Fitness