Lance will win the Ironman

Lance will win the Ironman

Postby Heyoka » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:19 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2414546

Lance is going to run the NYC Marathon, just like his wife did. I hope they make up, he blew it. She's hot.

Anyway, Lance started out as a Triathlete. I was in one of the old USTS races with Lance, when he was 15. I think he finished 2nd.

Lance can swim fast. He can ride like the wind. If he gets his running legs back, look out Triathfreaks. Because everyone else will be racing for second.

He's not saying he's going to enter the Ironman, but I think he's just being sly. He just doesn't want them to know.

Go Lance! Bring the Ironman trophy back home, where it belongs!
Ski like Hell, go to Heaven
Heyoka

Lance and Ironman

Postby midwif » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:26 pm

When I heard he was running, I had the same thought. This guy was an age group triathlon winner as a teen. He actually started out as a swimmer though. He's got the goods to make a serious attempt at winning an Ironman.
All he has to do is stay with the main pack in the water, (draft, draft, draft) and he would probably mow down anyone ahead of him in the bike. THe legs need to keep it together for a strong run.
It would be a very exciting race to watch.
midwif

Postby jbotti » Tue May 02, 2006 10:05 am

This is the issue with Triathlons. Because there has been little prize money and limited endorsement contracts, anyone who is really world class has always gravitated to another discipline wher they can make some real money. As much respect as I have for the current top iron man competitors, none are in the same category as Lance when it comes endurance athletics. Lance is the greatest endurance athlete on the planet (bar none). Experience accounts for quite a bit in an iron man, but Lance has experienced being on the edge (several times in every tour de France) more than most triathletes. I think he will win his first Iron Man by a wide margin.

I also think he will enter for next years Iron Man Championship in Kona. This is the best thing to ever happen to Triathlon. Lance will bring coverage and sponsors to it like never before. I personally can't wait. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Le Lance!

Postby midwif » Tue May 02, 2006 6:48 pm

Hopefully, he will be smart and do some shorter races first, some USTS lengths and then some half IronMans. You are right, he would raise the profile of Ironman and triathlon tremendously. He would also have to look out for tacks on the road at Kona for sure!
midwif

Postby Harrison » Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

doesn't seem like hes in great running shape, i heard the other day that he just raced a 5k in 18 minutes, not too fast...
skinny skiers unite
Harrison

Lance

Postby midwif » Fri May 26, 2006 7:08 am

Only six minute miles. Hmm, not too shabby in my book. But you're right, not world class. Remember, he's been biking for years, not running. Specificity of training; he needs time on the roads with his legs instead of his wheels. He'll do a very respectable marathon barring injury.
midwif

Return to Fitness