After the knee replacement.....

After the knee replacement.....

Postby Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Ten days. Dr. Hackenslash did a total knee replacement on my right knee. Things are going well, but so slowly.......

I'll do the P.T. and do all the usual conditioning exercises; is there anything more to add? Are there any particular exercises to add to the general routine because of the knee replacement?
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Re: After the knee replacement.....

Postby VAskier » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:12 pm

Dr. Hackenslash? Is that doctor's real name? If so, that is certainly apropos!
VAskier

Postby Marc » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:07 am

Maybe train and learn to use your glutes even more? The glutes are normally thought of as hip extensors mainly but they also act as knee extensors (closed kinetic chain). Thus they reduce the compressive stress on the knees that the pull from the quadriceps exerts.

https://builtwithscience.com/how-to-act ... ur-glutes/
Marc

Postby Ken » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:16 pm

Marc, thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

VA, a friend said that her 3rd molars were extracted, including the impacted one, by a dentist actually named Dr. Hack.

I'm hurting today. The physical terrorist did way too much to me yesterday. I'm told (and it's my experience) that a good PT episode may hurt that day, but the next day it'll feel better than ever. Not this time. I"ll give it some time to heal, then back to the routine.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby BAJensen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Hi Ken,

I can only speak to my TKR, but I am not aware of any exercises that are specific to a knee replacement. As you know, of immediate concern is your range of motion. You will add the strengthening exercises specific to your needs as your knee heals. But here are some ideas that I have found to be of value.

I continue to use a simple bicycle trainer as a part of my routine. Early on it was a very kind and effective way of adding gentle flexing motion to the knee. Now, 5-10 minutes in the morning helps with any stiffness.

When I was able to add cycling, I was limited due to the stress placed on my knee by the grade and distance. I bought an e-bike. Being able to pedal with assistance was of key importance to my training. Added bonus... huge fun factor.

Like the e-bike, exercising with a TRX suspension apparatus allows one to adjust the assistance required when doing squats and lunges.

Lastly, but perhaps of most value, I am sharing this gem sent to me by Diana shortly after my surgery 4½ years ago.

“As the outside observer in Harald's rehab, remember that the process of rehab isn't one lovely straight line of upward progress. Every day has ups and downs. Keep your focus on every improvement, no matter how small. That will help keep your spirits up as you push through more difficult periods. By next winter, you'll be able to look back and see what a vast improvement you have made.“

Wishing you the best in your rehab,

Birney
BAJensen

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 am

Diana's words are ringing true...progress is coming in the smallest increments. Almost every day is a sliver better than the previous day. I am learning which of the physical therapist's exercises do the most good with the least pain. I think week 4 is having the best rate of gain so far.

Anyway, when I'm able, I have thoughts of a reconditioning program. With the current virus there will be fewer skiing opportunities for me. I'll make the most of what I can get.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Dstumpf » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:34 pm

Hey Ken after over 2 year since you knee replacement how are you doing? If anybody else has had knee replacement what are your thoughts. How long did it take to get back on skis, how has it affected your skiing? Or anything else you might want to tell a pmts skier who is a candidate for a bilateral knee replacement.
Dstumpf

Return to Fitness