Which camp?

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

Which camp?

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:53 am

How can I tell what camp is most suitable? When I look at the camp titles, a clarification of 'advanced', 'intermediate' would be excellent.

eg. if you can do XXX then you can do the tech camp.
BigE

Re: Which camp?

Postby ToddW » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 am

Deleted since Harald answered in another thread.
Last edited by ToddW on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddW

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm

harald says Green only.

The vids will still go up.
BigE

Postby cheesehead » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Looked at another way, there are very few skiers who would not benefit immensely from developing their mastery of "green" PMTS movements.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:39 am

How is it any different from working through the drills in book 1 or the instructor manual?
BigE

Postby ToddW » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 am

Practice makes permanent. Are you doing those drills perfectly? Can your ski companions critique your alignment and movements like a HSS coach?

1. On-snow alignment check is part of the camp. Footbeds or canting are available for a reasonable price. Skiing in balance is a radical new experience for many skiers.

2. HSS coaches see through to the underlying issues in your skiing like no others. With their guidance you will do the drills (and skiing) much better. And practice makes permanent.

You should know this after reading the PMTS forum for so many years.
ToddW

Postby BigE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 pm

It will be about $3K (or more) for two skiers to attend. And I simply can't afford that. If I could turn it into a "family" vacation, then that *may* be possible, but the cost would be even higher and therefore even less likely.

If I was really clever, I would video all my drills and compare their movements against the PMTS GREEN/BLUE level videos, on screen. That would be time much better spent than what I am doing now. My efforts could be verified that way. Even better to bring a laptop to the hill and view the results a couple times a day for more timely correction.
BigE

Postby dbillo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:20 am

BigE wrote:How is it any different from working through the drills in book 1 or the instructor manual?

Good question! My wife and I have been learning pmts for the past 2-3 years. We have all the books, and we are fortunate to have access to an accredited instructor, Icanski (John Nelles), however it is usually difficult to get together with John more than once a season. He does a terrific job with the limited time we have, but it is limited nonetheless.

I have long advocated to my wife that we should go to a pmts camp, and she has resisted...until now. The idea of spending five days with the best pmts instructors in the world, with daily video MA, is to me, *obviously* better than working through the books, and once a year with an instructor. We are never really sure if we are following the books exactly right, or practicing correctly what John has showed us. The "next best" thing is to post video on the forum for MA, but even that, IMO, falls far short of what is brought to bear during a pmts camp.

Is it worth the cost to you? You will have to decide. My wife and I are committed to getting into a Green/Blue camp at Sol Vista next year. We are not getting any younger, and we want to become expert skiers before we are too old to do it at all!
dbillo

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

BigE wrote:How is it any different from working through the drills in book 1 or the instructor manual?

Biggest difference is constant and instantaneous MA from a trained PMTS instructor with SMIM movement identified. Daily video MA'd by a trained instructor lets you see exactly what you are doing and why the SMIM is the SMIM.

If that is not an option the next best step is videoing yourself and posting it on the forum. BUT, this only works well if the video is decent and follows the guidelines in the MA forum.

The next step down would be videoing your skiing and comparing to the PMTS video. Unfortunately it takes a long time to develop an eye for MA.
Max_501

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links