newbie looking for advise on learning PMTS

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

newbie looking for advise on learning PMTS

Postby boibom » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:03 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum (I registered recently, before register, I browsed and read mostly), and new to this sport due to finance constraint. I have read all three books (more than once), and here are my questions that I would like to seek advise from, since I can not find any threads that descibes situation similar to mine.
Here are the info ..
* I am new to the sport (ski), my family (wife, self, 2 kids) tried once 2 yrs ago in Utah.
* We live in the east coast.
* we are all bunny and green trails with "pizza" style of skiing.
* We all (actually mine, since I am the one initiate the idea of skiing in the winter) want to learn how to ski properly and decide PMTS is the way to go (I have not read, hear, or see anywhere that talk about sport in general with this kind of specific details and breakdown step by step)
* We are not athletic & smart people therefore (even though) we are incaple of self learning from the book
* We do not have equipments (ski, boots), but from reading the book and experience, we do know that we need serious alignment (since wife and I are both bow-legged).
Here is our questions and we seek advise from ...
* How would we start learning PMTS? go to camp or private lesson? (we are seriously doubt that we can attend the green camp due to time, ability, and resourse).
* What would the best way to do it?

Thanks for the advise

newbie falls in love with PMTS

PS. I have not since any new news about the new DVD
boibom

Re: newbie looking for advise on learning PMTS

Postby SkiEnthusiast » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:07 pm

If you are in the Summit County, Colorado area this winter, I can help. Please see my web site at www.skienthusiast.net. I'm available most weekends and during the Christmas period from December 21st to January 4th.
SkiEnthusiast

Postby Erik » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:12 am

You can find a list of PMTS instructors at http://www.harbskisystems.com/inaccres.htm. There are some on the East Coast.

If are getting serious, one of the best investments you can make to start out is a good pair of boots. Having your own boots, with a custom bootfitting and alignment, is much more important than having your own skis. Shop very carefully for a good bootfitter. You will get much more out of spending the time (a few hours) with a good bootfitter, than going to a sporting-goods discounter. Depending on where you live, some on this forum may have some advice on where to get fitting and alignment that follows PMTS principles. By the way, there is a world of difference between the level of detail that most "good" bootfitters go through, and the measurements/steps that a real PMTS bootfitting will offer you.

If you can find a local PMTS instructor where you live, they would be an excellent source to help you know what to look for in boot options in your area. You could take a lesson first, and get the advice on how to proceed with equipment from the PMTS instructor.

Best regards,
Erik
Erik

Postby Zippy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:44 am

boibom wrote:What would the best way to do it?

Start now performing the dry-land exercises in the books. Try to get everyone to practice. Get boots for everyone if you can. Plan to spend some time on the snow this next winter. Try to find a PMTS instructor in your local area. Engage the instructor in lessons, and you will learn.

Have fun!

Zippy
Zippy

Postby boibom » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 am

Thanks so much for the advises. I am going to see if we can make it to CO this year to take lesson or not. We hope we could take some pmts lesson to fuel the passion for ski.

bb.
boibom

the learn to ski in a day package at solvista

Postby John Mason » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm

it's a great value and will get you started the right way. They are PMTS there and have great beginner areas. This is lower cost than private instruction and is lower cost on tickets as well. I think it's 129 for boots/skis/lift tickets and lessons which is a great value. Sorry there is no cheap way to get into skiing.

A proper pair of aligned boots can easily run 600 to 800 dollars. Ultimately, unless you are biomechanically lucky, you'll find correct alignment can make the difference from enjoying your skiing vs getting stuck in a rut.

http://www.solvista.com/ski/learningcenter.asp
John Mason

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links