Combo All Mtn/Blue Camp: Info please

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

Combo All Mtn/Blue Camp: Info please

Postby midwif » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:37 am

Looking for feedback from campers who attended the side by side camps this past january.
I am interested in the Blue camp and would like info from campers on how it worked out.
Who were the instructors besides Harald and Diana; How was A-Basin in the afternoons for "practice time"?
Was there a social component?
Trying to decide between the Solvista Camp and this earlier one.
Thanks in advance.
Lynn
midwif

Re: Combo All Mtn/Blue Camp: Info please

Postby SkiEnthusiast » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 pm

My wife and I attended the Combo camp in January at Arapahoe Basin. It worked well from the standpoint that I did not have to take two weeks of vacation in order for both my wife and I to attend a camp suitable for our respective levels. The instructors used were the usual cast of characters (Harold, Diana, Bob, Jay, Rich, Maria). Instead of six groups of All Mountain, or six groups of Dark Blue, there were three groups of 6 students in All Mountain and three groups of 6 students in Dark Blue. A-Basin in the afternoon, mid-week, is not crowded, so there was ample opportunity for afternoon practice. A-Basin is not particularly known for green runs, so the variety of terrain available for working on fundamental skills in non-challenging terrain is rather limited compared to Solvista. The Combo camp is a really good deal for couples if differing capability. An individual, or a couple with equivalent skills, would, in my opinion, be better served by attending one of the dedicated camps. Solvista and Copper Mountain are great places to learn at the Green and Dark Blue levels.

There is no lodging at Arapahoe Basin proper, so attendees stay in venues throughout the Snake River valley. That makes it tough to get together for social events.
SkiEnthusiast

Postby midwif » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Skienthusiast.
I did not want to be closed out, so had to make a decision earlier.
I am signed up for the Solvista Camp (again). I have done the All-Mtn Camp previously. I should have done the Dark blue instead, but who knew at the time.

Met some great people last year, some who will be returning. Very much looking forward to it!!!
midwif

Postby SkiEnthusiast » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:07 pm

My first camp was also the All Mountain. BIG mistake. Just because you ski black and double black terrain does not mean that you can jump right into skiing PMTS at that level. There are so many new things to learn, that it is much easier to start in the Green or Dark Blue camps. The most productive camp I attended was a Fall Tech camp. We never left the green runs, but there was so much emphasis on fundamental techniques that it dramatically changed the way I ski.
SkiEnthusiast

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links