A-Basin December 07 Camp

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

A-Basin December 07 Camp

Postby Arkady » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:06 pm

I have heard about the change of location from Copper to A-Basin. I am not very familiar with the area. Any advice on a place to stay, reasonably cheap and not too far?

I plan to drive from Minnesota, so I will have a car with me. If anyone is interested in car-pooling or joint accommodation, please respond or PM!
Arkady

Postby midwif » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Arkady
Keystone resort is closest to A-Basin, about 5-10 minutes. There are numerous places to stay at Keystone. Also, the town of Dillon is about 15-20 minutes from Abasin.
Check VRBO.com. There are condos at both places that are rented by the owners directly and the savings are significant.
The food at A-Basin is the worst I have ever seen at a resort, so it is worthwhile staying somewhere where you can make breakfast and bring a lunch with you each day since you return to the base lodge at noon each day to eat and review video.
Midwif
midwif

Postby Arkady » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:16 am

Thank you! I will definitely look at the options at both Keystone and Dillon.

Good advice regarding food!
Arkady

Postby Just a Skier » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:52 pm

Try the Days Inn in Dillon or the Dillon Inn. Reasonable rates and real close to the Basin. I live in Dillon and have had friends stay at both places and no complaints. Just depends on what your budget is and what you like for overnights.

A Basin isn't a 'resort.' It's more like Loveland...it's not about food or posh accommodations. It's just about the mountain, the snow, and your good times. No complaints here about the Basin's food, but if you like to bring your own, no one will make a fuss if you eat it there in the cafeteria either. Have a good time, Arkady.
Just a Skier

Postby Arkady » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:06 am

I think about options in Frisco, Dillon, and Keystone. I will have a car, so transportation should not be too big a problem. Night life is not a major concern of mine, neither is the food on the mountain - the mountain itself is more important. I prefer a budget option (meaning that I'd prefer to spend on a couple of extra beers to a couple of extra amenities).

For those experienced, should the morning drive from Frisco or Dillon to A-Basin be a real concern or not? If not, a real town might be a better deal than a resort (Keystone), especially if you stay there and ski at another place (?)
Arkady

Postby Just a Skier » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:24 am

No, the drive to the Basin is fine, maybe 15-20 minutes from Dillon, a little longer from Frisco (Silverthorne is in between those towns). Even if it snowed, anything w/front-wheel drive will do you fine. I've never stayed at Keystone, it's probably fine but guessing a little limited for restaurant choices, etc. The Dillon/Silverthorne area has some affordable places to stay, some decent pubs and restaurants, and good tuning/equipment shops close by if you need 'em. Cheers!
Just a Skier

Postby milesb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:23 am

There are a couple of microwave ovens in the upstairs dining area at A-basin, so you can bring your own lunch and heat it up.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Icanski » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:11 pm

at the March accred camp I stayed at a little Best Western in Dillon, right on the lake. There was an excellent little restaurant right next to it, continental breakfast and a quick drive up the valley to the basin. It had good rates at that time of year and was very pleasant. I recommend it.
John
Icanski

Postby Just a Skier » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:10 pm

The Arapahoe Cafe may be what you're referring to. They usually have nightly specials downstairs in their bar area...burgers, etc., on the cheap and always good eats. You can also pick up the Summit Daily to see what the other local places have to tempt you.
Just a Skier

Postby Icanski » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:09 pm

YOu're right, it was the Arapahoe CAfe. We ate both downstairs and up. Excellent food, very reasonable prices, and firendly service. Oh, and it's not your usual fare like in the chains, nice eclectic tasty food.
Icanski
Icanski

Conditionss at A-Basin

Postby Arkady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Who can comment on current conditions at A-basin? Driving to the camp this weekend. It looks a little pessimistic right now - is it usual for this timew of the year? Any hope for more snow?
Arkady

Postby Arkady » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 pm

By the way, Minnesota seems to be not such a bad place right now (other than being flat...) - we had a few inches of fresh snow, nights are cool, so some ski areas claim to have 20-30 inch base. Opened this season already, hope to get another day in before the camp.
Arkady

Postby skidaddle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 pm

just curious how the camp is going? Would love to hear how this heoped people with specific issues in their skiing.
skidaddle

Postby Arkady » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:10 pm

I just arrived at Frisco, where I will stay for A-Basin camp. I am certainly one of those skiers with MANY issues, and I hope to get a lot of help during the camp. To say that I am excited is a gross underestimation.

Moreover, snow looks great and the road (all way from MN) was not bad at all. A rare combination! Good luck to all campers and looking forward for tomorrow.
Arkady

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:46 pm

I prefer a budget option
Super 8 Motel in Dillon, then walk across the street to the small mall for a good deli (good breakfast sandwiches), two Chinese, mediocre Mexican, and more. Be careful walking across the road--even though there's a crosswalk and signal, folks look left and turn right. I banged a couple of hoods with my fist when drivers turned into my crosswalk when I had my signal and was part way across.

There are a couple of microwave ovens in the upstairs dining area at A-basin
The Chinese restaurants serve big portions. Reheated Chinese leftovers makes a better lunch than you can buy at the lower mountain cafeteria.

should the morning drive from Frisco or Dillon to A-Basin be a real concern or not?
Hertz rented a Pontiac G6 front wheel drive car to me, 28,000 miles, with Continental all season tires having good tread depth---and scary bad on snow. Very low mileage all season tires would have been much better. Just getting going uphill at a stoplight in Silverthorne or Dillon was a challenge, getting out of the A-Basin parking lot was no problem with three guys pushing, and getting up I-70 to the tunnel was an...adventure.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Next

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links