PMTS in the Midwest

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

PMTS in the Midwest

Postby Arkady » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:02 pm

It would be great to find out more about PMTS instructors or just PMTS skiers in the Midwest.

I am located in the Twin Cities area, ski there or in nearby Wisconsin, take an occasional trip to Lutsen and out West. It would be nice to hear your opinions of Midwestern PMTS schools - a few hours' drive is O'K.

Is Tyrol Basin the best? Anything else?

I would classify myself as an intermediate/advance skier, enjoying local blacks and blues, no technique to talk about, just recently trying NASTAR. PMTS makes perfect sense to me and I hope to improve using PMTS help and company.
Arkady

Midwest instructors

Postby richk » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:29 pm

check out http://www.harbskisystems.com/inaccres.htm for instructors at other venues.

Wilmot has a big PMTS crowd.

Lynn at Wilmot probably has more info. See the link for her contact info.
richk

Introducing myself

Postby Arkady » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:26 pm

I am a newbie here (lurking for quite a while already). I have a few questions but before asking I'd like to introduce myself first.

I grew up in the part of Siberia where everyone had cross-country skiing experience since the age of 5 but very few had any alpine experience. Reason: lots and lots of snow, terrain basically flat. Not much unlike Minnesota, where I live for the last 10 years!

I got to skiing a few years ago, with the help of a friend who taught me some basics the way he knew it from years and years back. His lessons were simple: no wedging whatsoever, narrow stance, one-leg balance, etc. It all made sense but left some questions unanswered. Transition was a mystery. I took to books and some on-hill and online instruction, which made things even worse. I found PMTS reference while browsing around. Got to this forum. Got the books (Expert skier I and II). And it was the first system which made full sense to me!

Last year I got Head XRC 1100 in 170 (I am 5'8'', 180) and Head S10 boots. They seem adequate, though lacking technique I need some speed to get them going. In the Midwest I enjoy local hills, I have no fear of local blacks, but there is some skidding involved. I can afford one or two trips to Lutsen every year, and one (maybe, two) trips West or to Europe (been to Taos, Diamond Peak, Bormio). Therefore, I do not have real all-mountain experience, confined to groomers and local NASTAR. In reality, it will probably stay for me at 30+ days a year at best.

I do not feel like I can contribute much to discussion, but I sure have lots of questions.

My questions as of today concern my strategy. I will appreciate all the comments.

1. Books. When the new book is out, should I switch to it immediately or treat it as a sequence for I and II? There is a lot of unfinished business for me in I and II. It will probably be my main learning tool for now.

2. PMTS instruction. What should be a better way to get it in the Midwest? I used Rich's advice and got in communication with Lynn already (thanks, Richk!) Any additional suggestions?

3. Local lessons. I plan to take some lessons from racing coach and do some NASTAR. Does it sound like a good idea or I should concentrate on technique first?

4. Equipment. Does a combination of Head 1100/S10 seem adequate? I seem to feel comfortable with these and that was my choice after lots of testing (Volkl 5 stars, Nordica SpeedMachine, Fisher RX8, Rossi Z9, K2 CrossFire were other candidates). Before last year I skied on Dynastar Agyl+, which were very forgiving and easy to handle, but also very shaky at speed.

5. PMTS Camps. When and where should I start? Maybe, this year it is too late to plan, but for the next year I might make enough progress to fit.

I have more questions, but that will do for now. It is warm in Minnesota, no winter seems to be coming any time yet. So I spend time in my office chair, flexing and tipping to make left and right turns.

Cheers,

Arkady
Arkady

I'll try to answer

Postby John Mason » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:58 am

1. From what I know of the book - I'd get it. In many ways its the same material presented in a new way. In other ways, HH has expanded the descriptions compared to the earlier book. I don't think it's meant to be sequential to books 1 and 2 but a whole new presentation overlapping and extending the material in the 1st 2 books. (and just over 10 bucks from amazon if pre-ordered)

2. That's sounds like you've made a good connection there. There are other PMTS instructors in the Midwest and there is a directory here

http://www.harbskisystems.com/inaccres.htm

I don't think it's comprehensive. But it might give you more options at more midwest resorts.

3. I have been to many PMTS camps and to 2 Atomic Race camps ran by non-PMTS people. These were good coaches. They did not, however, teach in a 'primary movements' fashion. The more coached toward end-goals without any real instruction of how to get there - like ski with parallel shins. We do that in PMTS by pulling the free foot back. There the goal was asked for. That's a totally different approach. At least they were very compatible in what they were looking for as final outcomes even though they were not as good a resource as PMTS to get there. The danger would be if these particullar race coaches don't teach sound stuff. Some racing programs teach a wide stance, gorrilla turns and the like. If I was in your shoes - i'd get some PMTS technique under your belt first if you can. (which is great for racing anyway)

4. I have a pair of head 1100's and they are fun skis. I'm not sure I'd pick them for the midwest as the runs there are short so quicker/tighter turns on more of a slalom cut ski might be better. I'm not sure what the s10 means. I have the 1100's that are the wood laminate race construction (and now a pair of 1200's same with liquid metal and a pair of supershapes). I had the 6 stars and the 1100's are much more fun.

5. I hear the 2 blue camps are full. I would take some of the PMTS lessons via Lynn or her referrals while keeping an eye on which camps you might be ready for. The all mountain camp at a-basin still has some openings, but it's all-mountain only.
John Mason

Postby Arkady » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:25 pm

John,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Yes, I have ordered the book and can't wait until it is out. I also plan to use the I and II I have already got.

Being unable to get to camps this year, I hope to get some PMTS and also racing instruction locally in the Twin Cities. I understand your warning. From my experience last year, it is not PMTS-focused, but at least not PMTS-contradictory: more emphasis on tactics, less on technique, but: narrow stance, balance, etc. If I make enough progress, I might try to make it to Mt. Hood in June, but it is a long shot.

By Head XRC 1100/S10 combination I meant 1100 skis with S10 boots. I like 1100 because they seem to allow some NASTAR as well as a reasonable free skiing use. I was a little worried about the boots being too stiff, but they seem to work fine and fit well.

I also see this forum as a great learning tool.
Arkady

Postby Icanski » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Speaking of Instructors...I'm not listed on there (not sure why) but I'm PMTS certified at the Green level and teach at Lakeridge Resort, outside of Toronto, Ontario in Canada. So give me a call if you're up here, I'm in the book.
My midwest connection is that I grew up in Iowa, and Patrolled at Sundown outside of Dubuque for many years.
Head down to Tyrol Basin near Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin and look up Kris Kruse-Elliot, she's great.
regards,
John Nelles
Icanski

Postby Arkady » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! Toronto is still a long way from Minnesota for a weekend trip, but if happen to be there, I will make sure to contact you.

I have heard that Kris Kruse has moved out to California?

Iowa does not seem to get a lot of snow lately. MN and WI are a little luckier.
Arkady

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links