Berkshire East - a great learning mountain

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

Berkshire East - a great learning mountain

Postby DougD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

Hi all,

Southern New England skiers seeking a day trip mountain to learn or practice PMTS movements should consider Berkshire East.
- bigger than the small hills east of I-91 and south of VT/NH... more skiing, less waiting in liftlines
- being in the Berkshires, it holds snow longer and sometimes avoids the rain/sleet/mix that can affect hills nearer the coast
- easy access (1hr30mins from Hartford; 2hr20mins from Boston/Providence)
- the BEST practice slope I've seen south of Killington's Snowshed; it's fairly long, wide, consistently pitched and has its own lift. That lift does not service more advanced trails and they do not feed down into the practice slope (unlike, say Okemo... where the entire mountain funnels onto the main practice slope). This makes it safer to do drills slowly and with focus, since there aren't many skiers/riders zooming past you at high speed
- less expensive than the major resorts in VT/NH

B/E has become our go-to day trip. Michael and I will be there tomorrow (Sun, 3/19). Happy to meet up with anyone who wants to make a few PMTS (-ish) turns. P/M me if you ever want to hook up.
DougD

Re: Berkshire East - a great learning mountain

Postby Bun-chan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 pm

I live in CT and ski weekdays at Ski Butternut. I probably buy a season pass and do the same thing next season. I want to compare notes with PMTS skiers who ski in Berkshire area. Butternut does an amazing grooming job and is a perfect day trip place. Are you by any chance interested in trying Butternut next season?
Bun-chan

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Butternut is flat and weekend crowded even by little Southern New England standards. Berkshire East is maybe the best little mountain in the East. It has real skiing even late day saturdays mid winter. Honestly I hate letting this secret get out.
B.Mulligan

Postby Bun-chan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 am

B.Mulligan wrote:Butternut is flat and weekend crowded even by little Southern New England standards. Berkshire East is maybe the best little mountain in the East. It has real skiing even late day saturdays mid winter. Honestly I hate letting this secret get out.

Butternut is not a very challenging place, but I wouldn't call it flat. It's an excellent place for drills and practices. Also, I would say you can challenge yourself in any trail. For me, it's just convenient and the closest decent ski area. People are well mannered. I've met quite a few good skiers there. Yes, it could be a zoo during weekends, but weekdays are great. Berkshire East is a little too far for me for a day trip. If I were to drive further, I would rather go to Jimny Peak or Vermont. Enjoy.
Bun-chan

Postby gozoogle » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:08 am

If any of you would be interested in stopping by Mt Snow, I'm there every weekend (and I'll be there all winter break Feb 18 to 22).

PM me and I'll send you my cell.
gozoogle

Return to Posse