A-Basin/Keystone local posse?

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

A-Basin/Keystone local posse?

Postby VicP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:06 am

Are there any PMTS-centric skiing groups local to A-Basin and/or Keystone (or Copper/Winter Park for that matter)?

I know that most of the PMTS camps (have done several) are held at A-Basin but these are now mostly filled up and/or too expensive for me now anyway. Looking to hook up with some local skiers into PMTS for recreation and occasional drills. I should be local to the Denver/Boulder area this winter and am thinking of picking up the A-Basin or Basin/Keystone pass (they are the same price through this weekend -$299). I will also have the RMSP+ (Copper/Winter Park/Eldora/etc.), so looking for any PMTS posses there also.

For the A-Basin skiers - do you also spend time at Keystone to make the combo A-Basin/Keystone pass worthwhile?

Thanks
VicP

Re: A-Basin/Keystone local posse?

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Since Geoff or James haven't replied yet I will. For the last four years we've had an every weekday group skiing Keystone or the Basin. PMTSers are always welcome. You will get as much/little feedback as you desire. We basically ski the Basin until Peru opens at Keystone and then move there until it closes in the spring, then back to the Basin. There are exceptions. The weather doesn't always allow good skiing up high and for all its faults Keystone is the best all weather mountain I've seen. They also do a first class job of grooming once things get going.

Since this came up I might as well make public that I will no longer be a part of the Keystone posse this year. After five great seasons, multiple camps, a green pin, and hundreds of days shared with many like minded PMTSers I am moving on. I can't thank Geoff, James, Jeff, and all the other folks we've had ski with us over that time enough. I'm sure we will cross tracks again.

My wife and I have bought a home in Carbondale and going forward will be Aspen/Snowmass regulars. Any PMTS skiers headed that way be sure to send me a PM.

Steve
CO_Steve

Postby JMD » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Hello Vic. As Steve posted a small group of PMTS skiers meet most weekday mornings early and late season at A-Basin. Then move to Keystone during their regular season. You are very welcome, along with any other PMTS skiers, to join with us. We have had quite a few out of town/ campers join with us. Simply PM 'Geoffda' or myself 'JMD' to arrange a meet up. We will really miss Steve and Pam as they relocate to Aspen. James.
JMD

Postby VicP » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for the replies - looks like a good thing for PMTSers at A-Basin and Keystone. I just bought the the A-Basin/Keystone combo pass online (price increase tomorrow) and am looking to hooking up with the group as soon as the snow flies (or at least the resorts open). Too bad the group will lose a couple of members. Now I need to to get out to Colorado and find a place to stay. My plans were to come out after Christmas/New Year (I live in Florida) but with the typically earlier A-Basin season start I may need to come out way before then.

Thanks again - for the info and invite!
VicP

Peru at Keystone?

Postby VicP » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:01 pm

From Steve's post above -

Anything particular about Peru at Keystone (the area under the Peru Express Lift I imagine) that makes it the deciding factor to move to Keystone (from A-Basin)?
VicP

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Until Peru opens all traffic goes up from River Run. Long walk from parking. Lots of skiers on just a few runs make for unsafe conditions. In order to open Peru a fair amount of the first mountain has to be open and the crowding goes way down. It's not a perfect indicator but pretty close.
CO_Steve

Postby geoffda » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 am

CO_Steve wrote:Since this came up I might as well make public that I will no longer be a part of the Keystone posse this year. After five great seasons, multiple camps, a green pin, and hundreds of days shared with many like minded PMTSers I am moving on. I can't thank Geoff, James, Jeff, and all the other folks we've had ski with us over that time enough. I'm sure we will cross tracks again.

Steve, it was great skiing with you and Pam all of these years. Can't believe five seasons have slipped by since we started skiing together. We will miss seeing you out there this year.
geoffda

Postby DougD » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:34 pm

In Denver now for next week's camp. Getting new liners at HSS tomorrow. Hope to ski Sun afternoon to get used to them before camp. Would love to meet any forum regulars/PMTS skiers who plan to ski that day. Let me know!
DougD

Postby JMD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:38 am

Hi Doug. Welcome to the Basin. I hope you enjoy camp. Geoff is coaching and I'll stop by to say hello to everyone. As I stated earlier we skip the weekend crowds and ski Mon-Fri mornings. JMD
JMD

Postby ToddW » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:11 am

Doug,

As James mentioned, the PMTS locals don't ski weekends.

It's not hard to find the return PMTS campers. There should be lots of them skiing at A-Basin on Sunday before a camp. Their skiing singles them out. For confirmation, look for the Harb stickers on their boots or skis narrow underfoot and likely made by Head. Generally, they're happy to meet other campers and make a few turns.
ToddW

Postby DougD » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks guys. I wouldn't ski much on weekends either if I lived here... jealous!

Glad to hear Geoffda's coaching. I've always admired his posts.

If we hit Abasin Sunday I'll look for PMTS clues. I have the same ones, HSS stickers on boots & I.SS Speeds.
DougD

Return to Posse