2010/2011 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

Re: 2010/2011 Northeast PMTS Meetup

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:08 pm

There really isn't a lot of lodging options near Sugarbush. Mostly a smattering of smaller B&B's and country inns throughout the Valley. The nearest big chain place would probably be the Best Western in Waterbury, which is a good half hour's drive from the mountain.There is a lot of condos available that can be booked through the mountain, but the price will be steep. One option close to the mountain might be the Sugarbush Inn. Nice quaint old inn, big enough to acommodate everyone, situated about half way in between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen, a short drive to either. Could probably get lift and lodging packages for everyone, but you would have to book early. Or everyone could just fend for themselves and get the best lodging options you could find near the mtn. The main thing to remember is to book early.
Mac

Postby skinj » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm

dan.boisvert wrote:skinj--I'd love to be able to ski more on weekdays, but I'm perennially low on vacation time, so that doesn't typically work for me. Are your kids of skiable age? Bring them!

Well, I would love to bring them but my oldest is skiing on the Blue Mountain Race team. That thanks goes to HH for getting my kid really excited about skiing. And since I am am his chauffer I will be skiing at Blue most all weekends.

If there is anyone who would like to get together for a day or two on week days I would be interested.

Don
skinj

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Mac wrote:There really isn't a lot of lodging options near Sugarbush. Mostly a smattering of smaller B&B's and country inns throughout the Valley. The nearest big chain place would probably be the Best Western in Waterbury, which is a good half hour's drive from the mountain.There is a lot of condos available that can be booked through the mountain, but the price will be steep. One option close to the mountain might be the Sugarbush Inn. Nice quaint old inn, big enough to acommodate everyone, situated about half way in between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen, a short drive to either. Could probably get lift and lodging packages for everyone, but you would have to book early. Or everyone could just fend for themselves and get the best lodging options you could find near the mtn. The main thing to remember is to book early.

Those smaller B&B's and country inns are exactly what I'm looking for more info on. If we can find one that's the right size and rent out the whole thing, I think it could work really well. I'd expect we could get favorable pricing that way, and it makes things a lot simpler to have everybody stay in the same spot and carpool/caravan to the mountains, etc. I've found a couple inns that have bars downstairs too, and I like the idea of people being able to kick back and have a few beers at the end of the day without anybody having to drive anywhere. The trouble I'm running into is that a lot of the inns are full of rooms with single queen/king beds, and while everybody here's friendly, I'm not sure folks who are sharing rooms want to be quite that cozy. ;)

If you've stayed in ones that seemed to have plenty of 2-bed rooms, I'd love to get their names. I'd be happy to give you a ring sometime next week to discuss further as well, as I'd rather not clog up this thread with too much of the planning minutiae.

Thanks!

Dan
dan.boisvert

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 pm

skinj wrote:Well, I would love to bring them but my oldest is skiing on the Blue Mountain Race team. That thanks goes to HH for getting my kid really excited about skiing. And since I am am his chauffer I will be skiing at Blue most all weekends.

If there is anyone who would like to get together for a day or two on week days I would be interested.

Don

Ahh, I see. One person you may want to talk to is skizoo. Last year he was skiing a lot of weekdays at Okemo, and I seem to recall those being his strong preference. I've skied with him a couple times, and he's a super-nice guy. I'll keep an ear out for others and point them in your direction, as well.

Cheers,

Dan
dan.boisvert

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 pm

Tossed in the mix: Wildcat and Attitash are now owned by the same company and there's talk of tix valid at both mtns.
NoCleverName

Postby markristo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:41 am

I'm long time skier.. super blue camp last year and fellow skiers at home mountain (Catamount) who are long time pmtsers who got me into this. Thanks to them I'm hooked! FYI check out http://www.woodwardsresort.com/ski_season.html for lodging in Lincoln NH. Cannon is just up the road and we love it. I'm happily underemployed during the winter so mid week is no problem. We get the 7 night package and make a couple of trips through out the season.
markristo

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks for the NH info guys, and welcome aboard, markristo!

To keep this more central (especially for our friends from the west and south), we're going to stick with VT this year, and will be in the Mad River Valley. The resorts will be Sugarbush and Mad River Glen (this will convert to 2 days at Sugarbush if the conditions suggest keeping to groomed trails). February 5-6, 2011 is now official. I'm presently waiting for numbers for one more lodging option, but the lodging selection will be made and posted by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for your patience, everybody!
dan.boisvert

Postby ginaliam » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 am

BIg Thumbs Up on the mad river valley, DAN! Thanks for putting this together-now, can you wrangle getting us a tour from John Egan? :D

Liam
ginaliam

Postby Mac » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 am

[quote] can you wrangle getting us a tour from John Egan?

Actually, John Egan does give guided tours through the back country terrain in between Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen. So anyone can get a guided tour if you've got the cash.
Mac

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:09 pm

I've posted the lodging info. We'll be at the Sugar Lodge on the Sugarbush access road. I'd recommend booking soon; they've still got fair availability, but lodging in that area seems to get booked up fast.

When you book, please send me a PM with your name(s), email/mobile number(s), and when you plan to arrive. I'll email everybody a lift ticket reminder the week before we go, in case you forget to check the forum. We found mobile numbers to be very helpful for finding and coordinating with people on the mountain last year, so I'm asking for them again. I won't share your contact info with anybody without your express permission, so if I get hit by a bus on my way to the mountain, you'll have fun finding each other, but at least you won't get any extra spam.

I'll call Sugarbush when we get closer to see how much it would cost to get the Egan tour of the mountain, Liam. I'm honestly curious, and you can feel free to treat us if you like. :D
dan.boisvert

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:19 pm

I talked with Glen Scannell this evening, and we've got a spot on his calendar. If you haven't skied with him yet, this is a great opportunity to do so. To the best of my knowledge, he's the only guy in the region who teaches using PMTS methods, so I'm really psyched that we were able to get him for this event.

FYI: Glen is attending pro bono. He's a really laid-back and generous guy, and is very likely to help people who want it, but please don't expect structured classes or anything. I'm grateful that he's willing to ski with us for the weekend without having hired him, and am going to try to make sure he's not allowed to pay for any drinks while he's with us. If you'd like to help out, that would be awesome. :D
dan.boisvert

Postby midwif » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

FYI

Cell phone coverage is poor there.
At least the last time I was there 2 years ago.
It really IS A VALLEY!!
I got a poo,r but somewhat useable signal at the Sugarlodge, but on the mountain, was none to occasional bar.
Except at the very top!

Now, I have verizon, others might be a bit better.

Anyone else have cell phone experience there?

And yes! Let's make sure we show our appreciation to Glen. I'm in. :D
midwif

Postby midwif » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:05 pm

trtaylor wrote:I would plan to be there.

Tim
Hope to see you again!

Elk Mountain will be well represented. :)

Lynn
midwif

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:37 pm

I don't have any concrete recollections about cell phone usage at Sugarbush, but I could've sworn I had service at least in the parking lot (with AT&T).

Just an FYI for everybody: I'm going to be away for the next couple weeks--scouting resort options in the Alps for next year's meetup--so don't panic if you send me PM's with your contact info and I don't respond right away. I'll catch up when I return on 12/20. :D

Don't have too much fun without me!
dan.boisvert

Postby ToddW » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 pm

bump
ToddW

PreviousNext

Return to Posse