East Coaster proficient in PMTS, can you spare some time?

Want to ski with other forum friends? Form your Posse and post your invite here.

East Coaster proficient in PMTS, can you spare some time?

Postby Flexon Phil » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:50 pm

If you know me, you know that I spend a good amount of time in VT and Kton. From what I understand, there are few resorts in the east that subscribe to PMTS, is there anyone willing (and qualified) to spend some time with me to show me what its all about?
My TM can beat up your TM
Flexon Phil

Postby Mac » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Phil. Just got back from Kmart. Conditions are really starting to get good now. I'm heading out to Colorado next week, but when I get back I'll be glad to look you up. I'm well versed in Harald's books and videos. I have also recieved some private instruction from Harald. This by no means qualifies me to teach PMTS, but if you want to get together and do some skiing, I'll be glad to pass along what I know.
Mac
Mac

Postby Flexon Phil » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:01 am

Mac, This is jsut what I am looking for. Only one itsy bitsy problem...I won't know until this week if my season is done or not from my messed up knee. Lets keep in touch.
Flexon Phil

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 am

Hey Phil,
Welcome to the other side..... Mac and I ski together quite a bit and I think he's a great skier so you'll do good to meet up with him.

Hope to see you at a Philly get together soon....
Billy Dee NJ

Postby Flexon Phil » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Billy Dee NJ wrote:Hey Phil,
Welcome to the other side..... Mac and I ski together quite a bit and I think he's a great skier so you'll do good to meet up with him.

Hope to see you at a Philly get together soon....

We have to do another one soon. Let me see about scheduling one.
Flexon Phil

Postby ibMED » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Hi Phil,
An introduction first. I'm a Philly area guy who skis mostly at Blue Mt. I'd be glad to link up and share some PMTS techniques. I'm a big time fan of HH's Anyone can Be an Expert Skier 2 for developing all mountain skiing. It's helped me improve greatly in just a few days. Great CD of Harald skiing included.
I've read you recently injured a knee. I'm skiing this year with a torn knee miniscus and I've been through physical therapy and become a gym rat to strengthen the muscles around the joint. Leg strenghtening helps greatly. There's a good book I use called, Knee Pain, the Self Help Guide. The intro is by Dr. Steadman from Vail who is perhaps the most prominent knee guy in the US. It's available on Amazon.com for a few bucks. It includes exercise programs to rehab knees.

Mike
If you don't know where you're going, any ski turn will get you there!
ibMED

Postby Flexon Phil » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:53 pm

ibMED wrote:Hi Phil,
An introduction first. I'm a Philly area guy who skis mostly at Blue Mt. I'd be glad to link up and share some PMTS techniques.
Mike

Sorry, Mike I don't do Blue.
Flexon Phil

Postby Billy Dee NJ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 am

[quote="ibMED"]Hi Phil,
An introduction first. I'm a Philly area guy who skis mostly at Blue Mt. /quote]

Oops.....there are a few things that can never happen in this lifetime.
One of them is Harald skiing in a wedge......
...and the other is PHIL SKIING AT BLUE!

ibMEd, some folks have been trying to get him to Blue MT for years now.
Ain't gonna happen. :roll:

ps: I don't mind skiing Blue, haven't got there yet this season but surely will in late Feb/early March.
Billy Dee NJ

Postby Flexon Phil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:50 pm

Billy Dee NJ wrote:Oops.....there are a few things that can never happen in this lifetime.
One of them is Harald skiing in a wedge......
...and the other is PHIL SKIING AT BLUE!

ROFLMAO...Bill, you got that bout right.
Flexon Phil

Postby Flexon Phil » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:44 pm

In watching 501's video, I really want to spend some time with someone who knows this system. I am assuming I should bring a ski that has a tight TR, like my (sons) Metrons and not my Titan Nines?
Flexon Phil

Postby Mac » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Harald prefers to teach on a narrower waisted ski with a tighter turning radius. Wider skis tend to come up on edge more slowly and want to return to flat more quickly, and are thus less technically proficient than a narrower waisted ski. Peter did an article that went into a lot of detail about this on the site. Wider waisted skis are okay for more skilled skiers, but not the best to try and learn on. I prefer to ski on a 67-68mm waisted ski with a more moderate sidecut, I find that I seldom need anything fatter than that. But for a more seasoned skier, I would say ski on anything that you are comfortable on, although in my opinion there are a lot of people skiing on these fatter skis who never leave the groomers that would be better suited to a narrower waisted ski.
Mac

Postby Flexon Phil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:11 am

I do leave the groomers, therefore I do ski on a wider waist ski. Plus the wider ski gives more float in adverse conditions.
Flexon Phil

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:41 am

Phil, take a minute to read Peter's article. Go to Articles on the tool bar, click on Inside Tracks archives, and scroll down to "the Secrets of Midfats" section. That pretty much explains what I was trying to get across. It's all a matter of preference, anyway. I've owned several pairs of midfats, but seldom used them, except for spring skiing or trips out West, but even then I found myself wishing for my everyday narrow waisted skis. Most of the PMTS gang ski on Supershapes in every condition. However, wider waisted skis are the trend right now, even next years Supershape Magnum has a 71mm waist. I also observed Harald teaching a camp last Monday on what appeared to be next year's Head Xenon's, which from what I understand has dimensions very similar to the Metron. Hopefully he will post a review on them when he gets back from camp. I must admit I have demoed a few midfats lately that seem to be superior to previous ones I've tried, so a new pair might be in my future too. In answer to your original question, I think a experienced skier like yourself can learn PMTS on any ski, but from what I have observed in the past, a narrow waisted ski is still the ski of choice for teaching beginners.
Mac

Postby Mac » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:59 am

I screwed up the directions. After you click on Inside Tracks Archives, you have to scroll down and click on 70mm skis, and that will lead you to the secrets of midfats article.
Mac

Postby Flexon Phil » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:27 pm

I just picked up some Blizzard SL Mags in a 165 w a 13M TR. They are mounted with Vist plates and Marker 14.0's. Will these be a good ski to work on PMTS with?
Flexon Phil

Next

Return to Posse