Man Down!

Man Down!

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:47 pm

Kilde crashed in SG training and tore his acl. Down for the season. It makes Pinturault the odds on favorite for the overall title which he currently leads.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Man Down!

Postby ErikCO » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Seems I've been hearing about more crashes/injuries in GS/SG/DH this year than I normally hear. Is that just because I'm paying more attention, or is there an actual increase?
ErikCO

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:59 pm

I don't think its more than usual. Skiing speed events is pretty nuts and odds are high that significant injuries can and will occur when crashing at 60-70mph. Every year there is a long list of people that are out for the season (and clearly people don't just get injured in speed).
jbotti

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm

Steve Porino (the ski competition color commentator) has a new podcast called "Alpine Waxroom". In his latest podcast he teased that his next discussion will be specifically on this topic about all the crashes/injuries and whether or not this is peculiar to this season or a trend. I forget the name of his guest for this discussion, but it's supposedly someone very deep in the WC circles and in-the-know on this stuff. I don't love Porino as a commentator, but I did enjoy listening to the few podcasts he has released so far.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:02 pm

I guess the number of injuries is more than usual because everyone seems to be talking about it. Here is a Ski Racing article that goes through it.

https://skiracing.com/taylor-an-epidemi ... -pandemic/
jbotti

Return to Racing