20/21 World Cup on TV?

20/21 World Cup on TV?

Postby docmartin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 am

Looks to me like NBC is not covering WC racing this season. I’ve got the the Snow pass and it shows nothing for Sölden this weekend. What’s the best way to watch this season?
docmartin

Re: 20/21 World Cup on TV?

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Dan

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:08 pm

They reached an agreement last night so now you can stream Soelden in the US. See the link below:

https://skiracing.com/in-the-nick-of-ti ... st-option/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby skifastDDS » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Recent update from NBC Sports Gold:

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Funny I was just about to post a similar update. If you want to see the races in Austria it will be on Peacock Premium. The bulk of the other races will air on NBCSN.

https://skiracing.com/nbcs-peacock-prem ... cup-races/
jbotti

Postby dougtee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:38 pm

bummed to see mikaela a little bit off
dougtee

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Probably should have been expected. She didn't train for a long period of time after her dad passed. There is a reason Hirscher retired. The ones at the top know how much it takes to stay there and it requires unreal work and focus pretty much 365 days a year. Mikaela is proving that even the most talented can't show up and win on the WC when they haven't put in the work.

And she, very much like Hirscher, has pretty much nothing left to prove in ski racing with 66 WC wins, 3 WC Overall titles and the most slalom wins by any ski racer ever. She would not be the first that went through a life changing event (losing her Grandmother and Dad in the same year) that came out the other side and said, I want to do something different.

Of course we would all like to see her return to dominating the WC, beat Stenmark's record and retire as the greatest/winningest ski racer ever. I thought for sure 2 years ago that Hirscher would stick around and surpass Stenmark. I thought for sure 10 years ago that Tiger Woods would easily pass Jack Nicklaus. But life and its challenges (and opportunities) is real and has a way of getting in the way (or not if they are all happy when they walk away).
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:46 am

They said on the broadcast Saturday that she was off snow for 300 days before starting her training for this season. That's a long time! Not to mention the fact that her set up probably is not dialed in because that usually happens over the summer and into fall and she wasn't training then.
jbotti

Postby ErikCO » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 pm

I didn't realize she had been out of training for that long! It's actually pretty amazing that she did as well as she did.
ErikCO

Postby dougtee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 am

ErikCO wrote:I didn't realize she had been out of training for that long! It's actually pretty amazing that she did as well as she did.

hah same, really puts it into perspective especially coupled with the personal challenges. jbotti those were some very insightful posts, thanks!
dougtee

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:47 am

jbotti wrote:They said on the broadcast Saturday that she was off snow for 300 days before starting her training for this season. That's a long time! Not to mention the fact that her set up probably is not dialed in because that usually happens over the summer and into fall and she wasn't training then.

I was surprised to see her skiing as well as she was given her time off, but I agree her setup, strength and timing appear to be off.

What continually shocks me about MS, is that every fall we see her come in with setup issues (often the same / similar setup issues). Usually by January they are ironed out... but it often makes me wonder... what is different between November and January for her? I don't know the answer obviously, but it an observation I and others have made over the course of several seasons.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dougtee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:21 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
jbotti wrote:They said on the broadcast Saturday that she was off snow for 300 days before starting her training for this season. That's a long time! Not to mention the fact that her set up probably is not dialed in because that usually happens over the summer and into fall and she wasn't training then.

I was surprised to see her skiing as well as she was given her time off, but I agree her setup, strength and timing appear to be off.

What continually shocks me about MS, is that every fall we see her come in with setup issues (often the same / similar setup issues). Usually by January they are ironed out... but it often makes me wonder... what is different between November and January for her? I don't know the answer obviously, but it an observation I and others have made over the course of several seasons.

hopefully diana doesnt become her full time personal bootfitter before i get my chance to go to dumont
dougtee

Postby ErikCO » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:04 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:

Do you think that she changes boots over the summer an her technicians just don't manage to reproduce her alignment until she gets on the snow and they see the things that are off? I mean, with it happening year after year that explanation would make me question the competence of her techs, but that's the only think I can think of.
ErikCO

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:45 pm

ErikCO wrote:Do you think that she changes boots over the summer an her technicians just don't manage to reproduce her alignment until she gets on the snow and they see the things that are off? I mean, with it happening year after year that explanation would make me question the competence of her techs, but that's the only think I can think of.

Hard to say. She is the best skier in the world right now aligned with the best racing ski brand in the world. I have no doubt she has the best support of any athlete on the WC, probably by a good margin. I'm sure that includes some or many of the Atomic support staff that worked with Hirscher (he also had his own 'team' and I believe she does as well). To assume that reproducing alignment from one season to the next is a foreign concept to them is probably an insult to their experience. Who knows... no answers here, just observations.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:44 pm

This a view that I have that I don't know if its supported by fact. But ski cos give sponsorship deals to athletes for only one reason, because they believe it helps them sell product to the masses. Last years race boots that are fully dialed are probably fine, but they don't look the same as the race boots Atomic is peddling this year, therefore they have to set up 3-5+ new pairs every year. Of course for WC skiers a pair boots has a much shorter useful life than boots for recreational skiers. But if they set up 5+ pairs each year (could be 10+ for all I know), there have to be 2-3 pairs that would still have plenty left in them for the early part of this season. But again, she can't race in those because they need her in the new boots. Assuming the changes have only been cosmetic, theoretically it should fairly easy to dial them in like last year. But if they made any changes to the boot geometry, Ugh... that could take months to dial in perfectly.

Anyway, I think this contributes to the issues but I don't know for sure.
jbotti

Next

Return to Racing