Thee is no way to describe Hirscher's brilliance!

Thee is no way to describe Hirscher's brilliance!

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

I've watched and skied with Stenmark, skied with many world cup winners, world champions and there were other great skiers obviously, but never one like this, who has dominated 7 world cup seasons in a row in two highly difficult and technical events. There were flashes by others sure, Ligety had his time, Von Gruenigen had his time, Marc Girardellli, Hermann Maier had great careers, but nothing like this.

Hirscher makes it look like it's too easy to win, at times like today. But you can see he is working hard, you can see his power, his quickness his perfect technique, a step above the rest. However, in the men's field, there are others that are super talented, Hirscher is a once in a lifetime super athlete. He is in the same league with Federer, Gretzky, and Bolt.

I don't see Hirscher as a machine, he has finesse when needed, he has touch, he creates more and higher lower leg angles, he has more tipping movement, by far more than any of his competitors. He is never caught pushing on a straight leg and waiting for the ski shape to do all the work. He is constantly moving his lower body to increase his angles through the arc to tighten the arc, this is what gives him the extraordinary rebound, which he uses to get high angles for the next arc. Simply, beautifully harnessed energy to watch. He wastes nothing in a race course.
h.harb

Re: Thee is no way to describe Hirscher's brilliance!

Postby Jeet » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 pm

The way he is bouncing around in the youtube video below between 24 - 26 seconds in the video below. Amazing to watch. Athleticism at it's finest in my opinion.

Jeet

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:13 pm

unglaublich, aber wahr!!!

h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am

Not to mention the slalom globe he won this morning.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:39 am

He is setting records left and right. Who will bet against him winning the last two tech races in 2 weeks at the finals? And who will bet against him winning 10 world cup overall titles in a row? He's just turned 29. The Stenmark record of most world cup wins is in jeopardy. Who can find the first post I put up about Hirscher about 10 years ago, saying how I thought he's the best skier I've ever seen? Probably Max?
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:09 pm

noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm

h.harb wrote:He is setting records left and right. Who will bet against him winning the last two tech races in 2 weeks at the finals? And who will bet against him winning 10 world cup overall titles in a row? He's just turned 29. The Stenmark record of most world cup wins is in jeopardy. Who can find the first post I put up about Hirscher about 10 years ago, saying how I thought he's the best skier I've ever seen? Probably Max?

Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:49 pm

h.harb wrote:This guy Hirscher is a new official Super Star on the world cup. This is the best GS skiing I've seen since Michael von Grünigen.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:25 pm

very good, 9 years ago, almost 10 seasons.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 pm

From here, 6 victories per season for 5 more years and he will surpass Stenmark in victories. Having said that he really already has surpassed him. He is the greatest ski racer ever and it’s really not that close.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby gaku » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 am

Massive props to Hirscher for some unbelievable next-level skiing this winter. But watch out for Kristoffersen next season. His technique / fundamental discipline suffered AS a consequence of more time in the weight room -- he gained 5-8 kg in preseason this year to improve his condition for GS. He is also the best worst loser I've ever met - he hates to not win with a vengeance, yet he uses it to reflect inwards on his own performance, taking on the responsibility to improve. His mentality is unique. I think their rivalry - barring injuries - will peak next season.
gaku

Postby h.harb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:10 pm

I think it would be great for skiing if Kristoffersen were better and closer to Hirscher. 2 seconds is very hard to makeup, he didn't go backward to the rest of the field, Hirscher went forward, regardless of what he did in training. There have to be major changes in Kristofferson's technique, it's not even close, and the changes he has to make a really the most difficult to master.
h.harb

Return to Racing