Schiffrin- in giant slalom

Schiffrin- in giant slalom

Postby midwif » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 pm

No great ma skills here, but her form looked terrible to me. Not like previous events.
This is a relatively new event for her, but the wide stance,, up unweighing, throwing the skis to the side technique looks like psia incarnate. At least in the section they described as the most difficult. She's in second place, so far, so better than most.
midwif

Re: Schiffrin- in giant slalom

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

midwif wrote:This is a relatively new event for her...

Giant slalom is not a relatively new event for her.
Max_501

Postby midwif » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Sorry, my bad. I thought Bode said it was a relatively new discipline for her with a lot less training time.
midwif

Postby B.Mulligan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 am

Yeah, with the way she's skiing she only won gold :lol:

Hot damn! We might get to see something nobody's seen since JC Killy....
B.Mulligan

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:41 am

HH has posted many times that the field in women's technical events is very weak at present. There's no one at Schiffrin's level to consistently challenge her.

Schiffrin can ski better than this (and has). With her abilities she could be winning by larger margins, as she was a few seasons ago. The problem is that Atomic keeps screwing up her boot setup. This undermines her best movements and forces adaptive ones, which we do see in this race.

If you watch (e.g) Janica Kostelic's Olympic runs, she skied more cleanly than Schiffrin did in this race. In her present boot setup, Schiffrin could not beat a skier of similar abilities. Fortunately for Schiffrin, but unfortunately for skiing, she has no competitors with similar abilities.
DougD

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 am

Sure, boot setup has always been a factor for MS... sometimes it is right... other times not so much (ongoing theme with Atomic it seems). That said, I think the inconsistencies we are seeing in her skiing as-of late have a lot more to do with training volume in certain events versus others, compounded with the exhaustion of skiing a 4-event WC schedule. Much of MS's success has come from very focused training and repetition. While MS is competing against a weaker-than-usual women's field, I don't think it is fair to her or past competitors to claim she would or wouldn't win in a given environment. As it is, she is the most dominant WC skier we have seen in a long time, perhaps ever. Personally, I'd like to see her 'team' take a page out of Hirscher's playbook and get her focused on a more reasonable WC schedule (e.g. focused on SL and GS). I don't think her coaches, etc. are aligned on this... and they need to be.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am

Schiffrin can ski better than this (and has). With her abilities she could be winning by larger margins, as she was a few seasons ago. The problem is that Atomic keeps screwing up her boot setup. This undermines her best movements and forces adaptive ones, which we do see in this race.

If you watch (e.g) Janica Kostelic's Olympic runs, she skied more cleanly than Schiffrin did in this race. In her present boot setup, Schiffrin could not beat a skier of similar abilities. Fortunately for Schiffrin, but unfortunately for skiing, she has no competitors with similar abilities.

Yes, an accurate assessment. The skiing wasn't good, best skiing was Moelgg's first run. The rest of the runs were riddled with major line errors and poor skiing. This generation of women is week compared to previous generations. Another skier Goggia, what a horrid Atomic set up for her.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am

Having Shiffrin skiing all events is a stupid strategy. She has plenty of time to ski speed in her later 20ies. She should be racking up slalom wins and GS results. Her team and her mother are squandering her talent. She is far from a perfect slalom skier. The list of skiers before her that were superior skiers is long.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am

Shiffrin 4th in slalom, just heard it this morning, I think I called it in yesterday's post. I have not watched the skiing for the slalom race yet. On my blog, I did a Shiffrin post about when she skied her best slalom, her best was a few years ago.
h.harb

Postby skiffie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 pm

It seems to me (with minimal MA skills) watching the women's slalom and the men's GS yesterday that basically everyone is skidding / stivoting and is out of control. But how much of this is due to it being a badly designed course? E.g. the announcer was saying some of the gates are too close / steep to carve and the skiers have to throw their skis across the hill. But that being said, Hirscher noticeably didn't skid (nearly as much as) the others.
skiffie

Postby h.harb » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm

The technique, it's all technique, Hirscher has no flaws, he uses exactly what we teach. Many of the others at this level and speed don't flex and transition as well, and don't CA and CB as well as Hirscher. This applies to all levels of recreational or free skiing.
h.harb

Postby skiffie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:51 am

After watching Hirscher miss a gate yesterday I have to ask: how bad is the course? Of course anyone can make a mistake, but would any of the experts here say the course is not set up properly? I remember criticism of the Sochi course being that the turns were far too sharp and some of the gates were almost at right angles...
skiffie

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 pm

So today I was dropping some skis off at Precision. The gang was watching the skiing on TV and people started talking about Schiffrin.
The topic came around to her boots and one guy asked me if I knew what she was skiing. I said Atomic and he said that was wrong, that it was a Salomon painted to look like an Atomic.

FWIW
CO_Steve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 pm

CO_Steve wrote:I said Atomic and he said that was wrong, that it was a Salomon painted to look like an Atomic.

Every manufacturer seems to have molds of other manufacturer's boots in their colors and hardware (don't forget Atomic and Salomon are the same company)... I held a 170-flex "Head" boot last year that had no markings except "Head" stamped on the side, and was completely smooth all over (no tread molded to the bottom, etc.). Turns out, it was a Lange. Head athletes have the choice of skiing the Head plug, a 'Lange' version of the head plug or a 'Dobermann' version of the head plug. No doubt the same is true for Atomic. Who knows what she is actually skiing in, but it isn't another brands boot 'painted' to look like an Atomic.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby GThomas » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 am

Can you say if the options are copies as such, or externaly a head boot with the internal fit of another last ( i know that makes no sense to me as the flex would be effected) or is it a Head boot but with stance alignment the same as another manufacturer ?
Is this for reasons of trying to find the boot that most nearly matches the shape of the foot and leg along with the best natural alignment for a given athlete ?
I can understand one manufacturers last qcan not fit all athletes feet and ankles idealy but i expected that stance and stiffness etc were pretty much possible to change to suit any athlete with any manufacturers WC options or am I wrong or missing something
For me this is a very interesting subject
GThomas

Return to Racing