Vonn Down

Vonn Down

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 pm

More bad luck for Lindsey. Fractured her humerous bone.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/report ... nn-injured
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Vonn Down

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:15 pm

Maybe time to hang it up?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Obrules15 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Previously someone mentioned that women's GS rules sucked and (I think) implied they led to increased injuries. Why?
Obrules15

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:28 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Maybe time to hang it up?

What is she, 10 wins away from beating Stenmark? I guarantee you there is no quit in her being this close to that record.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:33 pm

Obrules15 wrote:Previously someone mentioned that women's GS rules sucked and (I think) implied they led to increased injuries. Why?

Heluva mentioned that they have changed the ski sidecut rules for men's GS skis taking them from a 35m radius down to a 30m radius but that at least so far they have not changed the radius for the Women (which has maintained at 27m). The wider the sidecut that harder to turn and arc hence a greater risk of injury. Amazing that the FIS specifically cited injury prevention when they took the men's sidecut from 27 to 35m. This has proven not to be the case.
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:39 pm

30m for women.

HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 pm

Even worse!
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:44 pm

jbotti wrote:Even worse!

One advantage to the women's 30m over the men's 35m (old rules) was the women's tip width was limited to 102mm max while the men's was 95mm. The 95mm tip made the men's skis particularly terrible, and totally different from how the women's skis skied. I am unsure if the women's width rules will be adopted for the men, but I assume the rules will be the same.

I actually think the sweet spot for GS was 27m... they are still the best GS skis I own.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Like Tiger Woods, she's done, I called that one, back with you John, and the gang at YSC, I'll call this one the same.
h.harb

Postby NoCleverName » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:33 am

It's her arm ... give it a few weeks, cast her up, send her out. She'll play.
NoCleverName

Postby Muleski » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 pm

It's a bad humeral break. Big bone. Takes a long time to mend. Hardware should come out. Many different opinions on how long this might sideline her. Then you match it up with the women's WC speed calendar, and it could be a problem. She has had a number of breaks in the last three years. Kind of odd. Not everybody is on board with her new lean, thinner, toned body.....let alone her focus on her "branding." How serious was her summer...coming back, again, from injury.
Interesting to see Lara Gut getting even stronger over the summer, by comparison. Meanwhile LV has her dog and a camera in the gym, or by the pool. Just saying that a number of people question it.
Fine to be planning the next career. Hard to do it while trying to dominate a segment of this sport. Not sure how this will turn, but I don't disagree with HH. It might be over, or she might not be the same.

In conversation with a couple of medical folks quite close to this, it sounds like there are a lot of fingers being pointed, and such. A lot of questions, second guessing and already no consensus on how to manage this. If they let this heal as it should, the likely time back is at the FIS WC's in St. Moritz. There are just two speed series on the calendar after that. Do you just the timeline? Do you blow off the year, get back to serious work and come back for one final big year in an Olympic cycle? That sounds pretty drastic.

We shall see. Bad, and odd break. It's absolutely not a simple situation.
Muleski

Postby Obrules15 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12 pm

She now reports she'll start back racing this weekend but reports significant nerve damage to her arm. Given the precision and the level of skiing necessary to compete at that level is having that limitation likely to greatly affect her racing?

This is her 3rd break in the last two seasons, if you compare her past injuries to her more recent ones it just seems fishy. If she doesn't actually have a pathological problem then her body just seems to be wearing out (I know, not accurate but maybe apt).

Hopefully it isn't that she's becoming more reckless because that just can't end well.
Obrules15

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Plus the injuries have resulted in even more technical deficiencies, which were not her strength to begin it, which only makes the likelihood of re-injuring herself more likely.
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 am

if she isn't careful she will be an Arthritic mess by the time she is 50.
Basil j

Postby jbotti » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 am

She continues to amaze!! After watching her last weekend in Austria where she looked quite tentative, she comes back and wins in Garmisch this morning. Her talent, heart and intensity are otherworldly.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/vonn-b ... h-downhill
jbotti

Next

Return to Racing