Shiffrin videos from Loveland Ski Club

Re: Shiffrin videos from Loveland Ski Club

Postby skiffie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:09 am

blackthorn wrote:please take little notice of what I have said unless it is endorsed by someone who knows!! - I was only offering suggestions not advice.

haha fair point. I should be clearer in my posts :lol:
skiffie

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:31 am

Heluvaskier is right on the money, this turn is a weighted release rather than a super phantom. We can see this clearly when looking at a montage of this turn.

In this image the frames are placed at the correct points in the turn.

[image in post below]

Here the frames are spaced farther apart so its easier to see what is happening at each point in the turn.

[image in post below]

Frames 1 - 4: Big Flex, Pullback, Weighted Release

Frame 4: Crossblock of blue gate

Frames 5-7: Crossblock of red gate, outside leg has extended, inside foot moves forward

Frame 8: Inside foot management via pullback

Wait a sec, inside foot moves forward in Frames 5-7, but why? [if you haven't spent time ripping SL courses it is highly unlikely that you'd know the answer].

Harald wrote:This happens when you block the pole sometimes, the contact throws her slightly out of balance. Notice just before contact she had the foot back. The pole contact was also a reason she leaned in slightly after contact. Her holding of the CA is excellent from the previous arc. She also was using great foot pull back. She does sometimes lose some balance especially on that right foot, it's the weaker of the two in alignment. Coincidentally that is the knee she injured.

In addition see Harald's post below which explains why the outside leg extends quickly when a weighted release isn't timed perfectly.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 am

Beautiful post, Max. Thanks for taking the time.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Why is it that most coaches can not evaluate skiers at this level? And I include US Team coaches and USSA coaches in this. There is no difference between a US Ski Team coach and a USSA coach they all come out of the same pool, they only change jackets when they work for the ski team. Thomas Vonn who doesn't coach US Ski Team is one of the best we have. Steve Bonous is another coach I respect, and Crawford Pierce, but beyond that it's hard to find unless they are PMTS trained like at Welch or Timberline from JR's work there.. The reason is if you don't know how to teach the movements M.S. (mikaela) is making, how can you expect to understand when they are right or when they are off or wrong?

This montage max put up, demonstrates a great finish to the previous arc, and an excellent transition, but it has a timing error. If you get to use a weighted release, you have to have the timing perfect, because once initiated there is little you can do to change your new angle onset or direction. Especially in this case going into a hairpin. Notice how here M.S. gets over extended on the outside half of the body. She has to push hard and then step on her inside ski. (blocking the pole had another influence) Not ideal, however unless you have coached or raced at this level of intensity; you may not realize this is still a great reaction by MS at the highest level. With the speed and energy she came out of the last arc with, she had no alternative but to adapt. Also, if you study M.S.'s skiing, her right knee and right leg boot set up is slightly off. So she is less confidence on that side. Her reaction is to play it safe and extend the leg, rather than landing on a bend angled leg and knee, in other words, with a knocked kneed stance. I have demonstrated this numerous times on my "Blog" in previous posts.

As I have "Blogged" and also posted often on my Facebook page, there is no one in M.S.'s class in slalom. When she was out for 8 weeks many different women won in slalom; showing no one can match Mikaela. In fact, the techniques of the the other women are down right poor. Mikaela makes about 70% perfect turns in a slalom run. The other 30% are either good enough or slightly less beneficial. Her competitors make 30% good turns on the easy sections of the course and 70% poor turns on the difficult sections. The top 5 slalom women can make some perfect turns on the easy flowing sections of the course, however when it gets tight or steep, that is when they fall apart and lose huge chunks of time on Mikaela. Mikaela isn't yet, up to Schild's standard. And that is mostly because of her right boot, she has to compensate for that set up. her comeback is amazing, but again, her right leg is her injured leg as well, which tells me what we have known for a long time (from our alignment data). Injuries occur, most often, up to 80% of the time, on the more poorly aligned leg.

In this "Blog" Post, You can see how a weighted release should be used with a more angled lower body landing on the edge.
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2015/01/when-trying-to-achieve-world-class.html
h.harb

Postby skiffie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Harald and Max both, thanks so much for taking the time to explain! It all makes sense now. Despite knowing of the weighted release I forgot that it was something I could look for and then was wondering why the turn didn't look like a super phantom... :roll:

Learned lots, thanks again!!
skiffie

Postby blackthorn » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:46 pm

:) yes, same from me. Thanks to all. There would seem to have been a lot of work behind the scenes - fantastic frames. This is was makes this forum - it is peerless.
blackthorn

Postby arothafel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Agreed. This thread is a "clinic."

It will be fun to re-visit over the next few years.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am

Links have been fixed and I've merged the MA comments into a single post for easy reference.

In this image the frames are placed at the correct points in the turn.

Here the frames are spaced farther apart so its easier to see what is happening at each point in the turn.

Frames 1 - 4: Big Flex, Pullback, Weighted Release

Frame 4: Crossblock of blue gate

Frames 5-7: Crossblock of red gate, outside leg has extended, inside foot moves forward

Frame 8: Inside foot management via pullback

Wait a sec, inside foot moves forward in Frames 5-7, but why? [if you haven't spent time ripping SL courses it is highly unlikely that you'd know the answer].

Harald wrote:This happens when you block the pole sometimes, the contact throws her slightly out of balance. Notice just before contact she had the foot back. The pole contact was also a reason she leaned in slightly after contact. Her holding of the CA is excellent from the previous arc. She also was using great foot pull back. She does sometimes lose some balance especially on that right foot, it's the weaker of the two in alignment. Coincidentally that is the knee she injured.

And...

h.harb wrote:This montage max put up, demonstrates a great finish to the previous arc, and an excellent transition, but it has a timing error. If you get to use a weighted release, you have to have the timing perfect, because once initiated there is little you can do to change your new angle onset or direction. Especially in this case going into a hairpin. Notice how here M.S. gets over extended on the outside half of the body. She has to push hard and then step on her inside ski. (blocking the pole had another influence) Not ideal, however unless you have coached or raced at this level of intensity; you may not realize this is still a great reaction by MS at the highest level. With the speed and energy she came out of the last arc with, she had no alternative but to adapt. Also, if you study M.S.'s skiing, her right knee and right leg boot set up is slightly off. So she is less confidence on that side. Her reaction is to play it safe and extend the leg, rather than landing on a bend angled leg and knee, in other words, with a knocked kneed stance. I have demonstrated this numerous times on my "Blog" in previous posts.
Max_501

Postby blackthorn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Max - Thanks for putting this up again. There is so much going on in this turn and it is invaluable to be able to correlate Harald's explanation with the photomontage. ( adds to slo-mo). I would appreciate seeing this happen again from time to time.
I think that there are many, myself included, who enjoy not only watching, but also trying to analyse WC racing technique. There is no other forum/website that I have come across that is able to do this with any degree of accuracy and consistency.
blackthorn

Postby Marc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:41 am

A recent video of Mikaela training: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2&__tn__=C
Marc

Postby DougD » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:52 am

Unbelievable ease and balance, given the forces she's dealing with.
DougD

Previous

Return to Racing