Schladming

Schladming

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:41 pm

Truly enjoyable race this evening from Schladming. 50k+ Austrians were there in person and a total zoo. Soft conditions and two pretty easy sets. Some great skiing from Felix, Hirscher and Kristofferson. Hirscher's second run on a cleaner course (he was 22nd after the first run after his goggles fogged up) was otherworldly. Felix's first run (he ran first) was another gem. Hk's final run through a mogul field was amazing as well. Worth watching.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Schladming

Postby blackthorn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:51 pm

With Gaku's help I am now able to watch. "follow the shoulders" - to see who is doing best.
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:19 am

For those that haven't seen it, here is the second run. Hirscher's starts at the 15:22 mark. Amazing skiing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_5tKNzfgY
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby gaku » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

jbotti wrote:For those that haven't seen it, here is the second run. Hirscher's starts at the 15:22 mark. Amazing skiing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_5tKNzfgY

I actually don't think Hirscher had that good a run. His top was amazing for sure, but a guy like Norbotten took 0.45 on the last two checkpoints, coming in 9 starts later! Steehle took 0.4 just in the middle. Hirscher's top was uncontested, but the middle and end ... not enough to earn "amazing" by his standards. Amazing by his standards, being so early - with conditions deteriorating as dramatically as they did - , and I think he could have taken the win. Still believe his setup is not working, would be fun to hear HH thoughts on that? Same problems as the start of the season?

Shame about Neureuther, with the middle part holding as well as it did I think he'd nail his first win of the season there. His pressure management in the first round was amazing and looked good in the second too before he straddled.

Also, Manfried Moellegs skiing at the top section was really, really impressive. Seemed to float over the bumps and dents that had formed there.
gaku

Postby blackthorn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:26 pm

To me Hirscher skis with "grace and power", Kristofferson "dances".
I find it fascinating watching the movements that K goes to if he makes a mistake. He appears to try and remain light and goes for angles before everything else.
So - in that most runs include mistakes, recovery technique is important. Something I hadn't really thought about much until now, and something to think about for mere mortals and free skiing.
blackthorn

Return to Racing