Vonn is, Dare I say, EN FUEGO!

Re: Vonn is, Dare I say, EN FUEGO!

Postby blackthorn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:34 pm

Vonn has crashed in Andorra and injured her left knee.

https://youtu.be/OwjwpGaZ0fw
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Max_501

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 am

Raise your hand if you saw that crash yesterday, watched her get carted off and you thought she would race today. If your hand is up your are lying. She won the SG today! That defines tough!

http://www.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/ev ... &sector=AL
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:45 pm

I will not raise my raise my hand. Vonn is tough - no doubt at all.
However, news items often do a poor job in terms of the accuracy and extent of athletes injuries. Hairline fractures may be hugely less functionally significant than ligament or cartilage damage.
From my nonexpert perspective the fall she had looked similar to the one she had recently, not withstanding her problems with line etc.

Now just maybe if her left binding had released then ............................??!!!!!!
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:05 pm

It seems unfortunate to me that she has not addressed the big lean in. Both the turn where she almost ate it and then the one where she did were huge lean ins with little chance that the stance ski would hold. Seems like she blamed the snow on instagram.

Agree that a hairline fracture is infinitely more functional/workable that soft tissue damage other that the pain and swelling that can be significant.
jbotti

Postby B.Mulligan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 am

It's been a year for injuries to the sports biggest stars.

She is way tough, and as i've said, staying at the top of the speed field for so long in spite of some big hits over the years deserves special recognition and celebration.

raise your hand if you haven't looked at Lindsey's body paint bathing suit spread. All unraised hands are lying : )
B.Mulligan

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:39 am

From LV's twitter:

"So the MRI shows a pretty substantial fracture in my tibial plateau. MCL looks decent as well as the rest of my knee. Now I will talk to my trainers and make a plan. I'll keep you guys updated."
jbotti

Postby theorist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:32 pm

In an interview she said that, while she won't be able to do any more training, she hopes to be able to continue to just do the remaining races in an attempt to hold onto her lead in the Overall, saying, "the Overall title means everything." [She's also tied in for the Combined title.] She further explained that she's nearing the end of her career, and has probably just two years left, so she judges it's worth the risk, if her trainers give the OK. BTW, this fracture is in her good knee, so she joked she now no longer has any good knees.
theorist

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Down for the season. Things look worse after a second MRI. Costing me $20 as I picked her to win the overall in a pool with a few other PMTSers before the season. Clearly its the right move for her.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/lindse ... ason-early
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:48 pm

This is a real pity and one wonders if she will get back to any significant level. It would be wonderful if she could recover to ski WC or Olympics at some stage.
However there is no doubt that she is/has been the greatest/very great american/world female/overall skier/ ski racer/speed event ski racer/body painted skier ever/of this era.
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:00 pm

I would never bet against her. This injury is nothing compared to the two ACL tears she had 2 or so years ago. Most thought she might be done after those only to see her shock the world and come back last year and totally dominate again (which carried into this season). She clearly has two big goals left. First to pass Stenmark with the most career WC wins. Second she wants to collect a couple more medals (preferably gold) at the next Olympics. Based upon what we have seen from her over her career and coming back from the last injuries, seems like she will be back as strong as ever for next season.

Having said all that, if she would address the lean in she might not have to flirt with injuries like this one.
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:33 pm

You will be much more expert than I on this.
I wonder whether it is not a simple matter of leaning, but leaning without full commitment to the outside ski. She seems to start with weight mainly on the inside ski, but then fails to fully transfer to the outside ski ?due to her known right knee problems. I suspect that given the forces involved it would not be really possible for her to complete a full inside leg turn. She does not seem to have these problems turning the other way, and even when she completes turns her right turns often look very different to her left turns.
What do you think?
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 am

blackthorn wrote:You will be much more expert than I on this.
I wonder whether it is not a simple matter of leaning, but leaning without full commitment to the outside ski. She seems to start with weight mainly on the inside ski, but then fails to fully transfer to the outside ski ?due to her known right knee problems. I suspect that given the forces involved it would not be really possible for her to complete a full inside leg turn. She does not seem to have these problems turning the other way, and even when she completes turns her right turns often look very different to her left turns.
What do you think?

I guess we can see a lot of different things and call it different things but to me and to my eye when you lose your stance ski due to lack of counter balance it is by definition leaning in. Perhaps the reason she does it is because of the knee and possibly because of her boot set up that may be contributing to the problem (clearly boot set up is much better this year). Now it seems ridiculous to even mention my skiing in the same post as Vonns, but I had a bad break on my right ankle many years ago and its set wrong (13 degrees out). I have a natural bad problem of leaning in to get angles on that side. Clearly its because I don't trust loading it up as much as I do the other side. But focusing on CB clears up the issue immediately. My point is that if she worked for a month on CB and avoiding the lean in, I think a lot of this issue would go away. But who am I to teach Lindsey Vonn! I am surprised that one of her coaches has not worked with her on this.
jbotti

Postby blackthorn » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I absolutely agree with you about the leaning. It's the whys and wherefores that interest me, but much of this is, for me, speculative.
blackthorn

Previous

Return to Racing