Sprint Downhill

Sprint Downhill

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:18 pm

This is another interesting approach being used by the FIS this year. They are doing a 1600 meter, 25 gate sprint downhill in Austria for the Women this weekend, and they have two runs like in technical events. My guess is that the skiers will not be at risk in the same way they are in the parallel GS from several weeks ago. I do think this will be fun and exciting to watch. A shorter two run downhill opens up more venues to run races (need less terrain/length and many more slopes can accommodate this 1600 meter race versus the long ones). Viewership in Europe for the WC is strong unlike the US where it borders on non existent, but adding fans is always a good thing for any sport. American football continues to make changes in the rules to make the product faster paced with more scoring (much to the chagrin of many traditionalists) and they have succeeded and the sports popularity has soared. Baseball has done little to find a way to speed up the game and they have been surpassed by football by a wide margin. I give the FIS credit for trying new things which could bring in new fans.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/brace- ... see-double
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Sprint Downhill

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:08 pm

Well I misunderstood. The downhill was made a sprint with two runs because of the lack of snow. Was still very fun to watch. It is however woman against girls with Lindsey Vonn vs the field. In all the ruts and compressions that were affecting everyone Vonn just seemed to glide through.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Racing