Parallel Giant Slalom

Parallel Giant Slalom

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:15 am

The past couple of seasons FIS has been doing some parallel slalom races with some actually in cities (often at night). These have been very fun to watch. They just did their first parallel GS race at Alta Badia and it was a blast to watch. This is not GS racing. In many ways these races favor the speed skiers because in these short tracks they put 3 good sized jumps. The speed skiers went through them like butter. The technical skiers made a mess of them. If I was Hirscher or HK I would not want this race counting in the overall or for the GS globe because it is not a fair test of GS skiing. Still it is wicked fun to watch! I give the FIS credit for trying new stuff like this. When you see the technical skiers get abused by these jumps you start to appreciate how good the speed skiers are in handling some massive and truly dangerous jumps they regularly face in each downhill.

If you haven't seen this event, you will enjoy all 90 minutes.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Parallel Giant Slalom

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:08 am

Jbotti, this is a copy of my post on Facebook, the day of the event. I hated it.
FIS holds a new Duel format event?? Are these people stupid or just desperate. The FIS Alpine World Cup Tour tested out the new event of parallel giant slalom at Alta Badia tonight with rather shocking results.
It's dangerous, it is too short, with no turns, and big jumps, it doesn't represent good GS skiing, it's a joke. Maybe spectators like it, but it's a good way to ruin the backs and knees of the best racers and skiers on the world. It was also stupid of the US ski team to enter Ted Ligety. He already has some torn parts in his hip and two herniated disks in his back. Do they want to put him out for the season???
h.harb

Re: Parallel Giant Slalom

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Good call and I agree with everything you stated. I still really enjoyed watching it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Racing