Vhlova

Vhlova

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:48 am

For those that haven't seen her ski, below are links to her two runs at Are. IMO this is great skiing and pure PMTS. She holds CA and CB as well as anyone. Notice her position at the apex of her high angle turns.

Run 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZhHBchUGs

Run 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1s9N0fJ0H0
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Vhlova

Postby B.Mulligan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:54 am

Wow, that is incredibly clean and beautiful skiing.
B.Mulligan

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Sorry guys it's not that great, it's reasonably adequate for Nor Ams. If Mikaela or Schild were still racing these people would be 3 seconds out. Anyone can look good on an easy hill, that was an easy hill, and she was knocked kneed and holding her BTE. Nothing amazing in that skiing, what she did was being done 10 years ago, but better. That's not where the next future champion is coming from. You can hold me to that.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:05 pm

I was not going to respond to this post, I was holding it back because I knew I was going to be in conflict with previous posts, but I can't hold back. The women's slalom right now is terrible, and it's not getting better for some time. I respect great slalom skiing when I see it, Schild, Schiffrin, Zettel, Hosp, Sarka before she was sick, but what I see now is 3 seconds off the mark of those skiers, it's slow, Nor-Am stuff. You can take what I say lightly, and with a pinch of salt, if you like, but that's what I'm seeing. No BS!
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:56 pm

When Lindsey can be second in a combined slalom, and Lara third in the slalom portion, that is all that I need to hear about the low quality the women's field. Lucky times for those that remain. When Proell was winning she had to beat Wenzel, Morerod, Epple, Mittermaier and Nadig. This is just mentioning a few of the greats for the era, there were at least 5 more. LIU on Wiki.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:41 pm

h.harb

Postby blackthorn » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:56 am

I've looked at it in slo-mo. Is it that she is getting pressure on the outside ski before adequate angles, and after that is doomed to the consequences? ie a tendency to actively pressure the ski, rather than letting the pressure be the result of the angles achieved?
blackthorn

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:18 am

Very good, good description, she is looking for edge hold, this makes you stiff on the out side leg, doesn't work. Once she gets it, she has to flex the knee, drive in and rotate, which makes her over-turn. It looks like slow motion because it is, compared to Shiffrin. I once stood beside the training course when Schild, Zettel and Hosp were in their prime. They were snapping off turns so fast it made you head spin. This is just a period we are going through with no real slalom talent.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:19 pm

When you visit my Blog, you will notice a comment posted by one of the coaches from Burke mountain, after I posted this.

Mikaela is a product of Mikaela and her parents, sure everyone wants to take credit. She was already a super star at 9 years old, she had perfect technique. The right environment was provided sure, but she would have been a champion out of any school or any program. The US ski team doesn't make champions the athletes make themselves champions. Fortunately for the US, every 10 years or so, another one pops out of the wood work. The Norwegians have a population of 5 million, the Austrians 7 million, they produce skiers, that become champions, not the occasional champion, who is a natural, like in the US. We see a few, in spite of USSA Coaching and Development programs by the US Ski Team

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7640256050958260109&postID=868163354593035272
h.harb

Postby gaku » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:21 pm

h.harb wrote:Very good, good description, she is looking for edge hold, this makes you stiff on the out side leg, doesn't work. Once she gets it, she has to flex the knee, drive in and rotate, which makes her over-turn. It looks like slow motion because it is, compared to Shiffrin. I once stood beside the training course when Schild, Zettel and Hosp were in their prime. They were snapping off turns so fast it made you head spin. This is just a period we are going through with no real slalom talent.

Hintertux? What a sight that must have been!
gaku

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:42 pm

h.harb wrote:When you visit my Blog, you will notice a comment posted by one of the coaches from Burke mountain, after I posted this.

Mikaela is a product of Mikaela and her parents, sure everyone wants to take credit. She was already a super star at 9 years old, she had perfect technique. The right environment was provided sure, but she would have been a champion out of any school or any program. The US ski team doesn't make champions the athletes make themselves champions. Fortunately for the US, every 10 years or so, another one pops out of the wood work. The Norwegians have a population of 5 million, the Austrians 7 million, they produce skiers, that become champions, not the occasional champion, who is a natural, like in the US. We see a few, in spite of USSA Coaching and Development programs by the US Ski Team

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7640256050958260109&postID=868163354593035272

Just catching up on this after the holidays. This is a great post - could deserve its own thread because it speaks volumes about where strong technical skiers are coming from.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

Yes It speaks for where US skiers come from. Or are born from.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 pm

h.harb wrote:Yes It speaks for where US skiers come from. Or are born from.

Yeah. If you want your kid to have a shot, you have to take their training and development into your own hands and get them proper coaching, or give them proper coaching. I know several very good PMTS coaches have become accredited coaches as a way to properly coach their kids.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:22 pm

When I watch Universal and see Lewis talking to Sasha, it's comical. I know what Sasha knows about skiing, he told me. I would not give any talented kids I have to him for development. There are more people on this forum I'd trust, to develop my kids and from Welch Village, than US Ski Team coaches.
h.harb

Return to Racing