Ted leans Hirscher wins GS

Ted leans Hirscher wins GS

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:01 pm

Sorry disagree with Bode, it wasn't soft snow or too early to turn, Ted leaned in and get back, railed his skis right out of the course.
h.harb

Re: Ted leans Hirscher wins GS

Postby Eiszapfen » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:31 am

The german commentator of ZDF talked about how Ted is normally able to distribute his weight perfectly 60:40 on outside and inside ski........ yeah sure.
For me the BIG suprise was Stefan Luitz who managed to get so close to Hirscher in the first run! How did he do that? I think he has great potetial, he was even much faster than Neureuther! What do you think of him?
Unfortunately he made a huge mistake in the second run (like at Olympia), but I guess he's maybe still too nervous.
Eiszapfen

Postby gaku » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:36 am

Eiszapfen wrote:The german commentator of ZDF talked about how Ted is normally able to distribute his weight perfectly 60:40 on outside and inside ski........ yeah sure.
For me the BIG suprise was Stefan Luitz who managed to get so close to Hirscher in the first run! How did he do that? I think he has great potetial, he was even much faster than Neureuther! What do you think of him?
Unfortunately he made a huge mistake in the second run (like at Olympia), but I guess he's maybe still too nervous.

He was skiing incredible turns, was more impressed with him than Hirscher in that race tbh. Also liked what I saw from Pinterault before he lost his balance.
gaku

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Stefan Luitz had some very good races last year already, Felix is not as comfortable in GS, but the real disappointment is Doper this year. Luitz is slowly moving up, he did have that huge error too bad. I'm not a fan of the Beaver Creek GS hill it's the same every time. Too many long flats in it. Wiat until alta badia and Val D'Isere, where the real skiing begins. Hirscher will be hard to beat.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:43 am

Did I say in my previous post, wait until we get to Europe Hirscher will be hard to beat???????
h.harb

Postby gaku » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:11 pm

Prophet Harb has a nice ring to it! ;p How about a monthly prediction column on your blog, based on individual traits and trends, snow, equipment setup, hill profile? Would be an interesting read.

A pity about Kristoffersen's exit, gettting his hand entwined in that gate by the drop. He loves that sort of terrain, the stepper and more unruly the better.
gaku

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:53 pm

I just watched what they show here of the first run. Ted looked horrid. Hirscher took a very straight line with a lot of stivoting/pivoting etc. Kristofferson skied really beautifully and was clean where few others were (Muffat-Jeandet skied similarly) but his rounder line was slower. This will never be a place where we see beautiful GS arcing. It's one bad ass steep hill with gates stacked really tight.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Ted as I said 2 weeks ago, leans in and can't get his CA and CB back in time to arc a turn. It's getting worst every season. Hirscher, can lean in, organize his CA and CB and still arc a turn. That's the difference.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Just watched about 75% of the second run. I kept checking to see if it had recorded the right show because it looked like a PSIA clinic in pivot slips! Wow, some seriously ugly skiing. The Slovenian kid that went second laid down a beautiful run and was the only guy (up to where I stopped) that was arcing turns. Proof that it can be done. I'm sure the top 5 will look decent but it is one ragged track. Guys are catching air in several spots. Fun to watch if you enjoy seeing survival skiing moves.
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:07 pm

And Doug Lewis is taking the term moronic to new heights! If I didn't know that he had raced, based on his comments I would swear he has never skied in his life. It does not get any worse!
jbotti

Postby theorist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Just watched the Beaver Creek GS. Can anyone explain Bode's commentary during Dopfer's second run, when he was explaining why taller guys have an advantage on more aggressive snow? He said that, since more aggressive snow requires backing off on the tip pressure (vs. ice) to keep the skis from grabbing too abruptly, taller guys have an advantage because they can move back without being as out-of-balance as shorter skiers (who, he says, have less fore-aft movement). And what part of the turn is Bode referring to here?
theorist

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:44 am

I know as a tall skier with long femurs it is easy to get back. I have never viewed that as an advantage! But Bode clearly knows what gets one down the hill the fastest and he has never cared if it was textbook or even close to good technique. I ski on aggressive snow all the time in Montana and I like the grip but I am not trying to win races. Beaver Creek is definitely a flatter arcing GS course so it makes sense that getting back there can work. It certainly didn't work at Val d'Isere yesterday!
jbotti

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:17 am

To answer the question (and I am not sure I can accurately) almost everyone that arcs decent turns has some experience of getting back to generate some speed in the turn. When I arc on flatter terrain, to generate some speed I naturally get back some at the top of the arc. This makes me go quite a bit faster into the apex and it require a higher level of tipping and you will see some skiers lean in some to add to the edge angle. It isn't good technique but almost everyone does it on flatter terrain to arc tighter turns. If you aren't aware that you are doing this, it can make it difficult when you get to steeper terrain where getting back will destroy your ability to arc a tight turn.

As for where racers are backing off some I can only guess (because I don't even pretend to understand the forces at their level) but it can happen almost anywhere in any arc. At the top would be to generate speed, at the apex to go straighter etc and these guys are brilliant at managing their edge engagement and fore aft balance to maximize speed while maintaining the ability to arc (although I guess we should say that maybe the top 5 are brilliant at this because in some ways it is often this ability that separates podium from the field). Clearly not everyone had it down at BC as most weren't used to the ultra grippy snow.
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:40 am

theorist wrote:Just watched the Beaver Creek GS. Can anyone explain Bode's commentary during Dopfer's second run, when he was explaining why taller guys have an advantage on more aggressive snow? He said that, since more aggressive snow requires backing off on the tip pressure (vs. ice) to keep the skis from grabbing too abruptly, taller guys have an advantage because they can move back without being as out-of-balance as shorter skiers (who, he says, have less fore-aft movement). And what part of the turn is Bode referring to here?

IMO it has more to do with individual anatomy. A shorter skier can still have long femurs [relative to the tibia].
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Bode is relating to his own style, Dopfer sure gets over his tips, so dos the Swiss who is 6-8 inches, possibly too much. Mario Matt also got over his tips and won 2 slalom world championships. Longer legs have more lateral leverage and do require more canting to the outside.
h.harb

Next

Return to Racing