Ted leans Hirscher wins GS

Re: Ted leans Hirscher wins GS

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I can't believe the poor set up on Ted's slalom boots and I think he is using the same ones for GS, because he looked terrible in those as well. The cuffs are far too strong, pushing against his leg. He looks so knocked kneed at the bottom of the turn, because he has to push the cuff so far to get the ski on edge, then it doesn't even hold. All the Head guys looked terrible in slalom, those guys just can't get it right except for on Fenninger.
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Max_501 wrote:
theorist wrote:Just watched the Beaver Creek GS. Can anyone explain Bode's commentary during Dopfer's second run, when he was explaining why taller guys have an advantage on more aggressive snow? He said that, since more aggressive snow requires backing off on the tip pressure (vs. ice) to keep the skis from grabbing too abruptly, taller guys have an advantage because they can move back without being as out-of-balance as shorter skiers (who, he says, have less fore-aft movement). And what part of the turn is Bode referring to here?

IMO it has more to do with individual anatomy. A shorter skier can still have long femurs [relative to the tibia].

I dunno. A shorter skier with relatively long femurs can get back more easily but, being further back, that leaves him more out of balance than a skier with shorter femurs, which is not the outcome Bode was describing.

In thinking on this further, here's what I think Bode actually meant: If you're a tall skier (long femurs [both rel. to the tibia, and absolutely], long torso), you can get back more easily with your long femurs. Transiently, this does put you further out of balance. However, as a tall skier, you can more easily get away with this, because you can use your long torso as a dynamic lever (moving it forward) to bring yourself back into balance. Not necessarily good technique but, as Harald said, Bode was referring to his own skiing, in which we know he likes to get back on the skis.
Last edited by theorist on Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theorist

Postby theorist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:41 pm

In case anyone's interested, Head just posted this video showing how they approached Lara Gut's alignment. I share this with reservations, because to me their discussion of alignment seemed superficial (granted, this is not unexpected, since a lot of that they want to keep to themselves). I thought the most interesting part was hearing Gut's perspective on what it felt like for her alignment to be off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlk17ZK ... e=youtu.be
theorist

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:31 pm

She responded like she wasn't really sure. The whole things is still kind of a mystery for them.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:01 pm

theorist wrote:In thinking on this further, here's what I think Bode actually meant: If you're a tall skier (long femurs [both rel. to the tibia, and absolutely], long torso), you can get back more easily with your long femurs. Transiently, this does put you further out of balance. However, as a tall skier, you can more easily get away with this, because you can use your long torso as a dynamic lever (moving it forward) to bring yourself back into balance. Not necessarily good technique but, as Harald said, Bode was referring to his own skiing, in which we know he likes to get back on the skis.

Any WC level skier, tall or short, can back off the tips and then recover.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Except Ted in slalom!!!!!!!
h.harb

Previous

Return to Racing