Universal Sports to quit Broadcasting

Re: Universal Sports to quit Broadcasting

Postby theorist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Just a heads-up that the channel scheduled to carry the non-domestic WC races -- Universal HD -- is different from the now-defunct Universal Sports HD, and may require a different package. On Time Warner in Los Angeles, I just canceled the "Sports Package" I was using to get Universal Sports HD, and added their "HD Package" to get Universal HD. [The added cost has been nominal --$9/month for the former, $8/month for the latter.]
theorist

Postby docmartin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:21 pm

From what I have seen there is zero commentary, just raw footage for most races. A bit dull to say the least...
docmartin

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Better dull than stupid! Are you watching for the skiing or for stupid commentary?
h.harb

Postby docmartin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:34 am

1. Like with all sports it is by no means just about skiing and certainly not all about the technique. This is competition. The drama is in the storyline and the context of the athletes backgrounds, injuries, challenges, standings, the history of the venue... There are no heroes and no villains without commentary, no one to root for. Not to mention that even dumb commentary can have entertainment value, spark discussion, reflection and create insight.
The technique is actually a minor aspect. If I want to watch technique there are better things than World Cup races on TV. I'll put in a Harb DVD or watch one of countless youtube videos (including tons of races). That is far more useful than watching a world cup race unfold in real time.

2. Without commentary the chances to watch any of these races live on a TV at my house - and I suspect many others - are zero. There is no way the wife and kids will subject themselves to watching 50 guys that they know little about going down the same track for 1 1/2 hours with only the wind whistling through the speakers. See above - commentary creates viewer engagement through a storyline and context.

3. Assuming the survival of ski broadcasting and streaming in the U.S. depends on viewership I can guarantee you that those numbers will be much lower without commentary. The Super Bowl without commentary would be a niche affair at best.

4. Without viewership ski racing is obviously doomed. It's already a pathetic sport in the U.S. I can watch the world series of poker on TV but not the World Cup? I was on a flight not long ago with Lindsey Vonn sitting right behind me. No one recognized her. No heroes, no interest, no money. The annual top 10 earners in ski racing bring tears to my eyes considering the price they pay in effort and injuries. Like it or not, TV makes heroes but not if it is a silent movie.
docmartin

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:47 am

NBC, NBCSN amd UHD (universal HD) have so far carried every race with commentary. You can set your DVR to have them all recorded as I do. I get all of these channels on DirecTV.

I have to agree with Harald though, I would rather have no commentary than lame commentary. As I mentioned in another thread, Bode is great, knows the courses and the skiers better than anyone. He is a joy to listen to. He was super in speed. We will see how he is in GS today at BC.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby VAskier » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Just blast your favorite music while you watch. Slalom and Stravinsky Firebird is a good combination, IMO.
VAskier

Postby jbotti » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:48 pm

I wonder what Bode would/will say after he looks at still shots of Ted as he was skiing out today. Bode's comment was that he came into the turn in great shape, with high edge angles and stacked. Wrong!! Ted was as leaned in as one can get and he had no weight on the stance ski. Then it started to bounce and he was done. Bode is still the best commentator we have had here in the US.
jbotti

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:18 pm

jbotti wrote: Ted was as leaned in as one can get and he had no weight on the stance ski. Then it started to bounce and he was done.

So he was in perfect PSIA position, right?
CO_Steve

Postby Hobbit » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:35 pm

The Eurosport and Eurosport 2 channels are available through Russian internet IP TV at http://www.russianinternet.com/tv/
The video quality is not great but the feed is available at no charge. They have all live FIS events and a bunch of re-runs.
If you don't care about the commentary (which is in Russian) just turn the volume down :)

To watch the channels select the tab "Каналы" ( which stands for "Channels") and then select Eurosport or Eurosport 2. You may also expand the video box to a full screen.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:05 am

For me the demise of Universal Sports has been a blessing. In my area Directv only carried USports in standard def. Universal HD is all hd and so far they ar carrying all the WC races. Now if we can just lose Doug Lewis.
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:12 am

We have HD Universal on Dish here. But we still have Doug Lewis, when it comes to skiing the guy is a moron.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Racing