2015-16 WC Season

2015-16 WC Season

Postby jbotti » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 pm

For those of you that like to record all the WC events this is just a reminder that the first race of the season at Soelden is the weekend of Oct 24,25. This one always sneaks up on people so set your DVR's and don't miss the races.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: 2015-16 WC Season

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:12 am

Hirscher needs to win 8 races per season for the next 6 seasons, and 2 or three for the next 3 seasons, to catch Stenmark. He is 26 years old. It's tough to win 8 races in a season at 35 years old. Can it be done? I said 6 years ago Tiger would never win another major, many disagreed. I had better odds with the Tiger prediction. If anyone can do it and has the best chance in a long while it is Hirscher, but it's a big ask! No one else is even close.

Hirscher also lost one season to an ankle break.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:28 am

My bet is that if he does it its because he stays healthy and doesn't miss another season. But injuries are tough to avoid in WC racing. Skipping the speed events helps but its not like he backs off some when racing to insure against injury! Even if healthy, 8 wins per year for 6 years is a mammoth accomplishment and one the requires 6 years of close to complete domination in both Slalom and GS.

Whether he gets there or not, it's going to be very fun to watch!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Eiszapfen » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:47 am

Just saw it live! It was an awesome and very exciting start of this Season's World Cup! Won't say more, I do not want to spoil anything ;)
I'm looking forward to your analysis!
Eiszapfen

Postby arothafel » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:33 am

Was up at 4:30 a.m. watching. Won't spoil it, either.

Once again, though, I am in awe of the athleticism of these guys. The body positions, range of motion, reflexes and movement patterns are beyond belief. Practically fall out of my chair just watching them.

It was amazing to watch one of the course workers slide 300 yards. Television always to flattens the hill. But, this guy gave a clear demonstration of just how steep it is.

I, too, eagerly await the analysis...
arothafel

Postby theorist » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 pm

h.harb wrote:Hirscher needs to win 8 races per season for the next 6 seasons, and 2 or three for the next 3 seasons, to catch Stenmark. He is 26 years old. It's tough to win 8 races in a season at 35 years old. Can it be done?

Maybe he'll change his mind, but he's said that he's going to retire in 2019, at age 30 (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/sport ... .html?_r=0).

arothafel wrote:It was amazing to watch one of the course workers slide 300 yards. Television always to flattens the hill. But, this guy gave a clear demonstration of just how steep it is.

Yes, that was interesting. I have to say I was impressed by that guy -- he was obviously very well trained, keeping his cool (in spite of the embarrassment) and not trying to stop his slide with his boots (one with an intact crampon, one with it dangling), instead keeping them off the snow until he slid to a stop.
theorist

Return to Racing