Let them figure it out for themselves.

Let them figure it out for themselves.

Postby h.harb » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:13 pm

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2015/01/difference-between-squaring-up-and.html

I don't understand why the US Ski Team hires and pays coaches. Here is a talented skier, getting no help. He has been racing with the US team for at least 4 years. He has finished as high as 6th in a World Cup slalom. When he finishes he is around 9th or 10 place mostly. But he still has to fight this problem on every run. He is arguably the US's best slalom skier.
h.harb

Re: Let them figure it out for themselves.

Postby geoffda » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Damn. It is so freaking obvious what the problem is. More amateur hour at the USST. What a travesty. Chodounsky can ski too. Absolutely, he should be able to win with some decent coaching.
geoffda

Postby Erik » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm

h.harb wrote:What happens when you can't or don't know you need to create counter acting in your skiing?
1. Your outside hip swings out, so you skid.
2. Your ski tail doesn't hold.
3. Your weight ends up on the inside ski.
4. Your stance gets too wide.
5. You lean into the turn..

Harald-
I think it would be really interesting to watch you incorporate these points into a PMTS camp morning talk about CA. Maybe next week at Super Blue? Please?
Erik

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:29 am

The benefits of counter acting have been topics of my morning presentations numerous times over the years.
h.harb

Postby DougD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 am

Harald,

I showed my partner Michael (who just attended his first Green/Blue camp) this picture and asked him to comment. With little hesitation, he remarked on Choodunsky's leaning-in and lack of CA vs. the other skier. When I asked him which skier he'd rather be there was no hesitation at all... the other one!

This from a skiing novice who's only just learned how to get down a green run without stemming (thanks to Diana and Rich). If he can see it...
DougD

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:33 am

Some of the coaches may see it, but don't know what to do about it and don't know how to teach movements. Remember the presentation I posted from the head men's coach, not one movement was mentioned, all concepts.
h.harb

Return to Racing