Zuzulova makes Phantom Move obvious

Zuzulova makes Phantom Move obvious

Postby theorist » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:55 pm

I was watching Zuzulova's remarkable 2nd run at the Flachau slalom -- the fastest of the field (Shiffrin's was next, at 0.36 s back) (Hansdotter, the overall winner, had the fastest first run; Zuzulova's first run was 11th, 1.12 s back). I can't recall having seen a run in which a skier was showing, for nearly every turn, such clear lift-and-tip (most don't make it this obvious, hence the "Phantom" moniker). Here's a montage, at 30 fps, of one of her turns:

Not sure about her alignment -- is she a bit knock-kneed? Though it is working for her, at least in these conditions.

She also showed a clear O-frame coming over a knoll. Not sure why it was more pronounced in this turn than any other -- could it be because she's more deeply flexed here than in other transitions, and this deep flexing facilitates a more pronounced tipping lead of the inside ski?

theorist

Re: Zuzulova makes Phantom Move obvious

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Expert Skier 1 was published in 1997, since that time PSIA has ridiculed me, PMTS and the "Phantom Move". Now they clam they should be coaching US Ski Team development athletes, however they still don't recognize world cup skiing techniques or movements. USSA is just as dysfunctional as PSIA when it comes to recognizing ski technique.. We are entering the dark ages of US racing, and we are in for a long dry period in US Ski Development.

Countries with 5 million inhabitants, not skiers, are beating the US in World cup ski racing, that is pathetic. In 2013 America had 8 million skiers, the lowest number since 2011.
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:03 pm

How are the Austrians developing their juniors? Do they explicitly teach/drill the Phantom Move (w/o calling it that), or do they rely mostly on modeling, where the kids follow racers who naturally have these movements, and the naturals among the kids then manage to pick this up in their own skiing (but w/o an explicit awareness of what they're doing)?

It would be fascinating to see an Austrian coaching manual, if one exists -- I've heard they don't have a national junior development program, and that each area develops its own racers.
theorist

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Austrian citizens in the different states or (Lands) are very loyal to their states. For example, this is from Wiki, "Austrian Länder are endowed formally and practically with a much smaller degree of autonomy than American or German states. Even so, Austrians tend to identify passionately with their respective Land and often defend what little independent governance their states have. It is not unheard of for Austrians to consider themselves, for instance, Tyrolean first, Austrian second."

This is so true as I often consider myself a Tirolian, (Tyrolean) before being an Austrian.

Each town has it's own clubs and each state has a "Landes Kader" or provincial squad. There are special National Team ski high schools in each province, where the selected few get to train and study.

Almost every ski town in Austria has an ex-ski champion who is involved with the local club. The particulars of each technical program isn't that well know, however at some point in the Academies, there is a certain "Austrian skiing way" that is coached. The Phantom Move is taught and isn't called that, but every Austrian has the ability to ski with the Phantom Move. And every Austrian has upper body discipline and counter-acting. Counter-acting is an Austrian "Thing".
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Neat, thanks for the info.
theorist

Return to Racing