Hirscher very un-Hirscher-like at Madonna

Hirscher very un-Hirscher-like at Madonna

Postby theorist » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:56 pm

I was watching Hirscher's 2nd run at Madonna di Campiglio, and was struck by how little he was CAing in many of his turns -- like he wasn't even trying. And it showed both in his control over the skis, and his time (1.11 secs off the fastest 2nd run, by Muffat-Jeandet). Given how grooved his neuromuscular memory should be, I'm surprised to see him ski like this. His added mass and strength seems to have improved his GS. But I'm wondering if it's hurting his slalom -- or at least his consistency in his slalom. I'm also wondering if the added muscle mass, and the training he did to get it, has compromised his flexibility. Even if his full ROM is still there, the added bulk might make that ROM harder to access.
theorist

Re: Hirscher very un-Hirscher-like at Madonna

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:56 pm

I agree, I though he was late sloppy and hard on his edges. He had lots of rotation and late hard hits.

It was soft snow, not injected ice, he still excels on injected snow. Last season they even messed up his boots trying to find a way to make him faster in ruts and soft snow, we know that didn't work. Bottom line is he doesn't have the touch in ruts at this point in his racing career.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:10 pm

theorist wrote:I'm also wondering if the added muscle mass, and the training he did to get it, has compromised his flexibility. Even if his full ROM is still there, the added bulk might make that ROM harder to access.

As long as he is still working flexibility the increased muscle mass is unlikely to compromise range of motion.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Sorry I didn't respond about the flexibility question, but my response should suggest this isn't the problem, as Max said.
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:50 pm

Understood, thanks Harald and Max.
theorist

Return to Racing