This Looks Like a Mistake

This Looks Like a Mistake

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Shiffrin after skiing quite poorly in Levi is now training Super G and will race SG at Val d"Isere. Maybe Levi was a fluke and just a bad day but getting stretched thin for training time in Slalom and GS is a bad idea especially for someone who is 19.

http://skiracing.com/stories/video-shif ... and-aspen/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: This Looks Like a Mistake

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

You have the best female technical event skier in the world... so... you put her in speed events where the risk of injury is higher, and reward for her ability less? That's the U.S. Ski Team for you.

Hirscher is doing it right. Hopefully other younger skiers are watching and taking note.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby WNYSkier » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Let's see, last year Shriffrin was the dominant SL skier on the WC, this year.....not so much. Still fast? Yup. Able to put together 2 runs against an increasingly strong first seed? Not yet. She has probably lost more SL points in the first two WC SL than she will gain in the limited SG starts she will make this year.

She is still a winner in GS, but with the new skis GS is closer to SG than to SL.

The move to SG isn't just risky from the injury standpoint, it shows poor judgement strategically.

Funny that this is a recurring trend in USST skiers. They come onto the WC as great technical talents, and then migrate to the speed events and lose the technical edge. I don't think it is by chance.....
M

Ski well. Ski fast. Have fun.
WNYSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:02 pm

This is not only dumb, shortsighted but shows desperation. And they have good reason to be desperate.
h.harb

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:34 am

She doesn't exactly have the body of a speed event skiier.
Matt

Postby blackthorn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:51 am

I am very interested in Harald's recent comments on his Blog re Mikaela's boots, and her recent poorer performances.
blackthorn

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm

See my Facebook and Blog posts about this issue. The stupidity that exists about boot set up and alignment by the boot reps and coaches is still extraordinary in the ski industry, coaching world and ski reps. I noticed the Mikaela boot issue after watching two runs. Her coaches have been skiing with her and following her around like puppy dogs for 4 months with this set up and done nothing. I told Eileen Shiffrin that I would not mention the content of our conversations in public. But now at least, she is aware of why Mikaela isn't skiing like her normal self.
h.harb

Return to Racing