Terrible article in Ski racing

Terrible article in Ski racing

Postby h.harb » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:12 pm

It's clearly not working in this photo Warner.

http://skiracing.com/feature/warners-world-duct-tape-and-hotel-room-keys/

The article is filled with bad information that leads to poor advice. The materials, editorials coming out of Ski Racing these days is astounding, sensationalism reporting, without reference, or facts. I was there when Warner put his back out in training at Loveland. It was completely due to his "mis- alignment" of his boots, and he wouldn't listen to reason. He over canted himself and he got hurt because of it, this was on his Dodge boots. Warner has no understanding of his or anyone else's alignment for that matter.
In the last weeks, with the Hirscher article on bindings, now this, come on guys there has got to be something you can write about that is actually relevant to skiers, and at the same time is accurate??????

Anyone following this advice is putting themselves in serious jeopardy and the possibility of a serious knee injury. Warner should be ashamed of this article and his ignorance of proper boot fitting and alignment. If you want more information on this topic I have it on my blog. http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com
h.harb

Re: Terrible article in Ski racing

Postby skijim13 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:51 am

I don’t know much about how to do an alignment, but what I have learned it is a highly complex process that required a skilled highly trained person. This article makes anyone think that can align themselves and a avoid paying for an expert. What they don’t realize is that they could end up paying much more for the cost of a good orthopedic surgeon.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:55 am

I wrote the Editor in Chief at Ski Racing, directly about this, because this is a really damaging article and it can really hurt people. It hurt Warner with this set up and the photo shows he learned nothing from his experience with his damaged back and the Dodge boots. This photo is after he sat out a year and tried to come back and achieved dismal results.
This is his good side turn, the other side is the turn he screwed up his back with, and his set up is even worst on that side. As I said before, I was there and even videoed the run where he screwed up his back.
A year later, he showed up at our shop with his new Head boots and said, these are boots exactly like Ligety's and I want to set them up like Ligety. We measured his set up, but didn't touch the alignment because we knew it was a stupid idea. Warners experience and knowledge about alignment is based on what he feels when he skis, not from thousands of measurements over two decades. He should not be spouting about his approach to alignment, it only serves to mis-lead and mis-inform. If he had said in his article, "I did it wrong and it get me hurt,." that would be worthwhile and of value to the public and to boot fitters.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Can't believe SR actually published that article. The fact that they did speaks volumes about the level of knowledge of their staff. Glad you were vocal on this one. Hopefully, it will save some racers from getting hurt.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:34 pm

I don't understand the ski industry, no one wants to step up and call foul when damaging material and information constantly goes out to the public, instructors, coaches, parents and racers.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:34 pm

I don't understand the ski industry, no one wants to step up and call foul when damaging material and information constantly goes out to the public, instructors, coaches, parents and racers.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Yup, and they are letting this guy write articles about how he experimented to set up his boots. This is information categorized as a waste of brain cells. Teenagers wouldn't even waste iPhone gigs on info like that.
h.harb

Return to Racing