Hirscher out skis the field at Solden.

Re: Hirscher out skis the field at Solden.

Postby Hobbit » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 am

DougD wrote:
Max_501 wrote:
DougD wrote:Max, my question was addressed to Harald. As he chose to answer, he evidently thought it had value.

So, according to Harald, by following "Essentials" normal skiers can, "put Hirscher's skiing in context first to use it for recreational level level skiing". Our skiing won't be "comparable" to Hirscher's, but we can adapt it to our context by following PMTS, particularly "Essentials".

Doug,

This is your interpretation of what Harald said. The way I see it is that Max just expanded and clarified Harald's answer -- do not try to adapt yourself what Hirsher or other top skiers are doing but work on Essentials instead.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Hobbit wrote: -- do not try to adapt yourself what Hirsher or other top skiers are doing but work on Essentials instead.

Exactly!
Max_501

Postby DougD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks, Hobbit... and Max.

I hope Max meant to expand and clarify. Unfortunately that wasn't clear, since he began by questioning the utility of Harald's answer ("How will the answer make you a better skier?"). If it doesn't, so be it, but it's not clear that Harald agrees. After all, he posted this thread (on the PMTS forum, NOT the Racing forum) and he graciously provided an answer ("Prep CB in the high C, do it in the load phase.").

There's a vast gulf between Hirscher and us mortals. I've skied with multiple WC skiers over the last 35 years and appreciate that. Check!
PMTS is the best known path for helping us mortals bridge that gulf, to whatever extent we're capable. Check!!
Book1, Book2 and then Essentials is the PMTS path. I've never questioned that, here or anywhere. Check!!!

So, please relax. Harald's insight into how one of the world's best skiers manages CB in a tough GS turn won't impair my PMTS progression. It won't even impair my PMTS training time, since I'm typing this in my office while pretending to work. :P
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:50 pm

DougD wrote:After all, he posted this thread (on the PMTS forum, NOT the Racing forum) and he graciously provided an answer ("Prep CB in the high C, do it in the load phase.").

Yes and a very important part of HH's answer was -

h.harb wrote:This skiing by Hirscher isn't comparable to what normal skiers are able to do.

With regards to this particular question we have been down this path before. We've seen the question posed in various forms but the gist is typically something like:

"Are WC racers intentionally inclining or delaying CB during the high C and then hammering it during the loading and, if so, should we do the same thing?"

The truth is that most athletes aren't strong or quick enough to pull that off so there is no way in heck the average skier can do it. That's why HH tells us to begin CB as soon as we tip to the new edges.

Which brings me full circle to my original question and observation based on nearly 10 years here:

Max_501 wrote:How will the answer make you a better skier?

IMO too many readers are getting caught in overanalyzing the top WC racers when its entirely irrelevant to the rest of us! Harald has already given us the Essential movements. Until they are mastered the rest simply doesn't enter the equation!
Max_501

Previous

Return to Racing