Vonn Photo

Vonn Photo

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Photo is removed due to Ski Racing Magazine objections.

This is really sad and it's disaster waiting to happen.
h.harb

Re: Vonn Photo

Postby arnokamphuis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 am

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. When I saw the photo of her I thought to myself: this is not good. But I couldn't really put it into words.

I do have another question: what do you think about the position of the inside hand? To me it looks like the hand is too far back which effects the counter acting negatively, and therefor the whole upperbody position. Is this true, or am I just saying stupid things here?
New to PMTS | 34 Years Skiing Experience | Marcel Hirscher Fan | Father of 6yo
arnokamphuis

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 am

If you look closely she has no weight on her right foot, she is leaning away from it and she is rotated, this is not good, even for a promo photo. The knee behind the inside boot is the really bad alignment indicator.
h.harb

Postby arnokamphuis » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:02 am

Here's another photo which looks really strange:

Photo credit: Getty Images/AFP PHOTO / PIERRE TEYSSOT

Last edited by arnokamphuis on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to PMTS | 34 Years Skiing Experience | Marcel Hirscher Fan | Father of 6yo
arnokamphuis

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:59 am

Beyond belief !
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Just do a web image search. These images are everywhere.
CO_Steve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Steve,
I think what is shocking is these are photos of a professional athlete who just came off two torn knee injuries. Undoubtedly she has worked her ass off to come back strong, but nothing has been done to fix the root of the problem... her boot setup. We obviously all wish her the best, but seeing that pic makes one fearful for the knee and she hasn't even started racing yet.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:14 pm

I understand. My point was that almost every image I found shows this sort of alignment.
These folks are running at the extreme of human capability, how can she be this handicapped and hope to compete?
CO_Steve

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

CO_Steve wrote:...how can she be this handicapped and hope to compete?

Well, she has always done well in the past... but now she is trying to do it on a weakened knee. We saw how easily it gave out the last time she injured it. Hopefully her coaches have a plan to address it before she starts racing again (especially in speed events, where the impact will be higher). She is an exceptional athlete and skier.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 pm

I just had a long post on Facebook about this topic. What a waste of time. It is still amazing how many skiers, many are professional, instructors, or in ski shops, who have no idea about alignment. They still think Lindsey's alignment is OK. They see her knee inside as good leg angles. I removed the Thread because it went way off topic. I guess there is just no educating some people.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:30 pm

h.harb wrote: I guess there is just no educating some people.

True til the end of time!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:44 pm

John you are so right, and also, about the photo Steve put up, you can see the amount of compensation she has to make with her hips to overcome her alignment. And that photo was when her alignment was reasonable. Now it's so bad there is no compensation. Her knee is damaged and her alignment is working against her. This is a formula for disaster. I called it last year and I hate to do it, but I'm calling it again, unless there is a huge change in her boot set up. I know Thomas pretty well, and when he was doing her boot set up, it was workable. Now he's not involved. Tiger Woods must be doing her, sorry, I mean doing her boot set up.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Details of the original Lindsey crash are, she went off the jump, off line. While trying to correct and get back to the left, where the course was going, she pre-set her right ski on edge to land and turn instantaneously . This with her boot set up and extreme Valgus (knocked kneed) put the knee in a really weak position for a landing from that height. No one's knee can hold those forces with that amount of a "knee in" stance on landing. If she had tried to land with both skis flat, she would have been fine, but headed off course. It would have cost her time, but in hide-sight 20/20 as they say, losing a few tenths looks good right now.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:30 pm

Let me guess. People look at her messed up alignment and think she is just skiing with "knee angulation." What at a lie. Skiing should not hurt your knees, nor should it require you to torque them, subject them to unnatural forces or assume positions that put them in jeopardy. If your knees hurt after a day of skiing, you aren't doing it right. A good rule of thumb: don't take skiing advice from people wearing knee braces!
geoffda

Postby emakarios » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Harald, in the photos, Vonn seems to consistently have her inside ski way forward. Is this an outcome of alignment problems or a movement input that can be corrected with foot pullback?
emakarios

Next

Return to Racing