Svindal GS Turns - Comments?

Svindal GS Turns - Comments?

Postby arothafel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:08 am

Svindal GS turns in super slo-mo.

arothafel

Re: Svindal GS Turns - Comments?

Postby rwd » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:14 am

It's interesting. He always flexes to release. About half the turns seem to have a relatively carved high-C entry. However, others (00:17-00:24) and (1:23-1:28) show the skis rotating while flat with the tails displacing laterally prior to engagement. Is this the "skivot"? I,too, would welcome more expert analysis.
rwd

Postby blackthorn » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:05 pm

Things skiing have gone quiet in the northern hemisphere, understandably. I see 'pivoting' in this video, but regard it as a method that the skier is using as a 'recovery' to maintain line when terrain, ability, equipment etcetc have conspired against a fully carved turn. What I am also seeing though is a tendency to move the outside ski forward towards the end of the turn after weight is transferred to the uphill ski, rather than trying pull the inside ski back prior to weight transfer. I suspect it is because the high angles achieved then do not allow time for the skis to come back together before preparation for the next turn - a consequence of GS racing rather than general free skiing. I would appreciate some expert comment if the northerners can focus anything away from their summer holidays.
blackthorn

Postby geoffda » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:26 pm

The most important thing to keep in mind with respect to "pivoting" or "skivoting" at this level is that fundamentally it is an extension of carving. You don't learn to pivot by practicing twisting your feet and it isn't a seperate (or even a taught) skill. Instead, you develop your carving to the point where you are routinely generating signficant release energy. Once you can do that, it becomes instinctive to manage those forces and move into the new turn in such a way to redirect the skis if and when it is necessary. Ironically, even in a pivot, tipping is still the dominant movement and it's all about edge control. If you want to be able to throw a pivot like Svindal, learn to carve like him and the rest will be easy.

In terms of free foot management, it looks to me like Svindal is trying to keep the free foot back. He is dealing with huge forces at release that are causing his skis to want to shoot ahead, but you can also see a strong two-footed pull back in response as well as continued effort to keep the free foot pulled back throughout the turn. There is a turn at around :49 that demonstrates this. First you see both skis try to shoot ahead as he releases, then you see him pull them back underneath him. You'll also notice that his tips are generally parallel at the moment his skis are flat in transition. One of the things he may have working against him is that it looks like he has long femurs relative to his tibia. While you can see him with a fair amount of tip lead at times, you also see considerable flexion on his inside knee and an acute angle between the femur and the tibia. Unquestionably, he is pulling his free foot back, so it may well be that he simply doesn't have the range of motion available to pull it back any further.
geoffda

Return to Racing