Vonn

Vonn

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:24 am

Wow, not looking good. She was in the lead and then skied out missing a gate. This is what she said:

“I didn’t hurt myself more than I’m already hurt. It was a small compression, and it was fully loaded on the right ski and my knee just completely gave out. I tried to pressure the ski again and it gave out again. I had no chance of making that gate, unfortunately,” said Vonn.

Sure sounds like she shouldn't be racing.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Vonn

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:08 am

My comments from the beginning, this is a stupid venture, she's not ready and it's only going to get worst.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 pm

This is what I knew would happen. She didn't even land on it, but she can't avoid driving that knee with this boot set up, the knee has to rotates in too far, for her to find the edge hold. And this is what PSIA teaches you to do when you ski, steer your knees in the direction of the turn, in my opinion this is criminal. Maybe now after seeing this, some will start to realize how detrimental this way of skiing is to your body.

Imagine how many women skiers who are knocked kneed, are told to do exactly this in ski lessons ever day?
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Yeah, I think you called it right Harald. She seems to think she's going to keep trying to train for Sochi, but I don't see how she can do it. Seems like she would be better off to just do the surgery now so she can be back on snow in the summer and come back strong for next year.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Bode did it smart, of course his timing was different, but he took a year away from racing. She needs to get out now and be ready for the worlds next year. But if she doesn't get a boot tech that understands what the knee needs, it will be again, all for nothing. I'm sure she is trying to stay in the conversation for the Olympics and delaying any announcements, to keep her name up front, but I would not be surprised when she returns to the USA that she announces she's taking the rest of the season off and getting her knee repaired.
h.harb

Postby Bonz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:20 am

I'm sure it's hard for her to shut it down with the Olympics looming,but id sure hate to see her hurt herself even more than she already is, which is looked like she was about to do in that race. As someone said, she should shut it down, get her knee fixed, and ink a deal with NBC for the Olympics, if she could stomach that.

On a side note, I'm so happy to finally have Universal Sports and can finally watch all of these races for the first time.
Previously ski racing was something I could really only see once every 4 years.
Bonz

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 am

Just announced on the news this morning - Vonn will not compete in the OIympics in Sochi. She has an MCL sprain now in addition to the ACL tear and cannot find any stability in her knee. Can't say we didn't see this coming. Her new target is the 2015 World Championships at BC. She is having surgery in the next couple weeks.

Just found an online story: http://www.businessinsider.com/lindsey-vonn-out-of-2014-olympics-injured-2014-1

Here is the announcement on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LindseyVonnUSA
HighAngles

Postby arothafel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Maybe during her rehab after surgery, someone will steer her toward Harald to get her alignment squared away. Nothing like a "new beginning!"
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:09 pm

In this case I hate to say I called it but it was obvious.
h.harb

Return to Racing