Universal Sports on Slalom

Universal Sports on Slalom

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Watched the Val d'Isere slalom on TV, Sorry, Universal Sports, but it's obvious that Doug Lewis was a Downhiller, the technical commentary for the slalom is way off the mark.
This is the worst commentary I've heard since I've been watching Universal Sports. He got all the technical aspects of slalom wrong.
He should stick to Downhill or Women's Super G where no one cares.

He actually said, "Matt hasn't change his technique in 14 years on the world cup. Matt has changed his technique more than anyone in the history of skiing, to keep up with the young guys.
Anyway, it won't change; we just have to view it for our own enjoyment, turning off the sound would definitely enhance the experience.
h.harb

Re: Universal Sports on Slalom

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:31 am

Yes, the commentary doesn't add much.

HOWEVER ... if you are getting Universal on the right cable or satellite system you can see essentially the raw feed on a "youtube"-like channel with NO commentary at all ... just the entire two runs with all skiers. I stumbled on to this on the UniversalSports website when I was at our ski club which has Time Warner (It doesn't work with Comcast). Most of the SAT networks have an agreement with them as well. It works by you "signing on" to UniversalSports using your cable userid/password and that unlocks the tape-delay feeds AND the live feeds. Prerequisite: your cable or sat subscription must already include Universal Sports ... I guess that's what the userid/password is for so they can verify that.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:18 pm

Go Here:

http://universalsports.com/winter-sport ... world-cup/

Top right hand corner is the sign-in button. If you have a cable provider that provides USN then you might be able to use your cable log-in info to access USN online. I have it but I prefer watching on the big screen in full HD.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Ya same here, also I can see it on my computer live, but it's small.
h.harb

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:52 pm

There are many ways to get the output of your computer on to your TV (depending on what AUX inputs your TV has). They range from VGA to HDMI to USB-to-HDMI adapters, etc. If you view using the Chrome browser you could then use ChromeCast. Check a site like Monoprice for good cables and adapters at very fair prices.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:16 pm

NoCleverName wrote:There are many ways to get the output of your computer on to your TV (depending on what AUX inputs your TV has). They range from VGA to HDMI to USB-to-HDMI adapters, etc. If you view using the Chrome browser you could then use ChromeCast. Check a site like Monoprice for good cables and adapters at very fair prices.

Are you getting a good HD stream from the USN website? Mine is very pixelated. Looks like crap compared to the HD signal I'm getting from the cable box.
Max_501

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:11 pm

I only did this once up at the ski club. I just did it on my laptop which was probably running at the roughly 2000x1000 (13") and it looked mighty fine. And this over a wireless connection. I must have gotten a pretty clean channel with little delay. This was the delayed stream, not the live. Plus I didn't use any of my TV adapters ... the hardware adapters vary in quality. I've had fair luck with the straight HDMI with this setup.
NoCleverName

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 pm

NoCleverName wrote:I only did this once up at the ski club. I just did it on my laptop which was probably running at the roughly 2000x1000 (13") and it looked mighty fine. And this over a wireless connection. I must have gotten a pretty clean channel with little delay. This was the delayed stream, not the live. Plus I didn't use any of my TV adapters ... the hardware adapters vary in quality. I've had fair luck with the straight HDMI with this setup.

I use straight HDMI too. I'll try a brand new I7 and see if that looks better.
Max_501

Return to Racing