SL - Mens Val d'Isere

SL - Mens Val d'Isere

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Mario Matt for the win:

Tough day for the GS guys. They looked tired and out of sorts with this SL course. Hirscher and Ligety didn't qualify for a 2nd run. Pinturault and Miller DNF.
Max_501

Re: SL - Mens Val d'Isere

Postby arothafel » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Cool to see a seasoned vet like Matt winning again. He's having good season.

If my memory is correct... he went from a narrower stance to the goofy wide stance.

And, now, back to the narrow stance -- and winning!
arothafel

Postby jclayton » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Yeah , good to see the old guys still hanging in there !
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, Mario Matt went wide for a number of years.

The following picture is from RonLemaster.com of Matt during the 2000-2001 season:

Here's a 2007 post from HH after Matt narrowed his stance and got back on the podium.

h.harb wrote:If you follow the world cup you know that Mario Matt has come back (2 second places in slalom) after three years of no results. He had to change his technique completely. He used to ski with a wide stance as advocated by most US coaches and PSIA. I said time and time again, a wide stance is a passing phase and not the real answer to winning or the way to ski. You can use exaggerated wide stance for exercises, (as in Power Releases in the Essentials book), but it's not a skiing position.

I advocate exercises that narrow the stance, as much or more than the wide stance exercises. I have never advocated locking boots as a way to ski. Independent free foot action has always been part of PMTS.

A narrow stance is fine even for guys with wide hips, I say that because everyone always says, "It's OK for Harald to have a narrow stance because he has very narrow hips." If a wide stance was better, you better believe HH would have a wide stance.

Watch Palander, Zurbriggen, Benni, Rocca, they have wide hips and ski narrow. What about the best women, the Austrians, they have the narrowest stances of all the WCers. Anyway it's about vertical separation, which I brought up in 2000, not wide, horizontal separation.

I rest my case again on this topic. M. Matt is one of the clearest examples that narrow works better.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 am

Ya and Doug Lewis on Universal Sports says he hasn't changed his technique in 14 years. Not only did he change his technique, and narrow his stance, he pulls his inside foot back much more now.
h.harb

Return to Racing