Bode Miller

Bode Miller

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Bode Miller DNF Run 1 Val d'Isere

Max_501

Re: Bode Miller

Postby HighAngles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:22 am

So what exactly did Bode encounter on the course that kicked his ski and caused the tips to cross?
HighAngles

Postby Mac » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 am

The announcer claims that he's "doing all the right things for sure" just before he dumps, and then says he was just unlucky? It looks to me like he just screwed up, plain and simple. Just a common mistake that all of us have made at one time or another, but not something you expect to see very often at that level.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:12 pm

Mac wrote:Just a common mistake that all of us have made at one time or another, but not something you expect to see very often at that level.

What is the common mistake?
Max_501

Postby Mac » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm

It appeared to me like he just crossed his tips.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Mac wrote:It appeared to me like he just crossed his tips.

Take another look:

And at 2 FPS:

Max_501

Postby arothafel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:28 pm

So... this is really interesting to view at this speed.

It looks like he leaned into the hill so far that his free foot LTE jetted so far out in front that he could not really release or flex his stance foot quickly enough to get it tipped. It also doesn't look like there's any CA going on. Might be a "push" off his stance ski, too, if his "up" motion is a reflection of that. At :06 his new stance boot catches an outside edge and it's over.

If I'm correct about him leaning into the hill... is that the starting point of his demise or am I missing it altogether?
arothafel

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Funny, I've explained this numerous times now, and it finally ended up on the forum. Bode had already released the pressure on the stance ski, but didn't get it tipping into the new turn. However in the process he started extending his leg, on his uphill little toe edge, but didn't transition it to the big toe edge (big mistake and it's an old US Ski team coaching technique). Does anyone remember the old extend on the uphill ski advice on Epic? This is it and this is what happens when you use it. He catches his outside LTE while extending, it caught on an old chatter. Down you go! High side.

He only crossed his ski after the little toe edge stopped moving to the outside. That is normal, the LTE ski stopped when it hit the chatter, but the rest of the body and equipment was still moving and had momentum, that's why the ski crossed. The ski crossing wasn't the reason, it was the result.
h.harb

Return to Racing