Vonn

Vonn

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:03 pm

We can all keep our fingers crossed this was nothing serious:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/skiing/stor ... urn-racing
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Vonn

Postby HighAngles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Yep, this was breaking news here in CO. I was home for lunch and they broke into programming to give this news. Based on the picture I saw posted it looks like it's the same knee. This could be it for her, but you never know until it's official.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:08 pm

This is from ski racing mag:

The four-time overall champ, who has spent the summer rehabbing a knee injury, was taken off the hill in a sled. She then limped away from the finish area aided by coaches and will undergo an MRI immediately on the injured knee.

Damn, doesn't sound good.
jbotti

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Here is a training run from earlier this year with her GoPro and other shots. I think the A-framing is even more evident than before.

arothafel

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:11 am

You can fix a torn up knee but if you put it back in the same stress with the same alignment it's not ideal.
h.harb

Postby geoffda » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Looks like a partial ACL tear. Unclear when she will be able to return to competition, but they are going to try PT after a few days of rest.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/36539 ... re-her-ACL
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow, bummer!
jbotti

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 pm

It's an interesting saga, but I think it was practically predicted on our forum that without addressing the alignment issues she would be susceptible to the same type of injuries happening again. Such a shame because she clearly has the talent and the drive. I hope she heeds the doctors advice and doesn't try to just push through this. I'm doubting we'll see her compete in Sochi.
HighAngles

Postby geoffda » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:20 pm

I wouldn't count her out just yet. We don't have all the information. Depending on how much stability she has with the tear and whether it is small or large, there are certainly scenarios where she could be in the start house at Sochi. My money is on Lindsey. If it is at all possible, she'll make it happen.

"The Sochi Olympics are only 78 days away. But Tom Hackett, an orthopedic surgeon at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, was encouraged by the information released by Vonn's publicist.

"It allows everybody to hope that she can get back to full skiing as soon as possible," Hackett said.

Even with a partial ACL tear, Hackett said, Vonn may be able to race next week.

"That can really be day by day, and it depends on her response to the treatments that she will be given in attempting to reduce inflammation and maximizing her muscle function again," Hackett said. "It really becomes a day by day issue, depending upon the extent of the strain."

Hackett said her availability next week should be considered questionable, not doubtful. But there are other priorities she needs to weigh."

http://www.denverpost.com/olympics/ci_2 ... ht-acl-out
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't think we can underestimate the will to win and compete that exists in athletes like her. And.. the Olympic games are the biggest stage especially for US athletes for fame and fortune. It is likely the last time she will be this dominant in an Olympics (which may not be the case after the re-injury). But Harald is skiing without either ACL and Bode skied most of his career without one. I remember Terrell Owens playing in a Super Bowl a few short weeks after breaking a bone in his leg. It is truly amazing what these great athletes can push through at times.
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Yes, I do indeed ski without an ACL in either knee, however my alignment is "perfect". I also placed 2nd and 3rd in two separate pro races that had big jumps, after my first surgery. But I was not skiing speed at 70mph with big air. If you land wrong your knee will explode. I think I called a knee injury for Vonn about three years ago, because of her alignment. If she injured her knee again after a complete repair, what do you think will happen with a partial tear? Her confidence has to be shattered and the will to win and the drive from here forward is bravado, not realistic..

I can just imagine what it's like around her right now, she has got to be a basket case. I've been through it, the set back is worst then the initial injury from the mental stand point.
h.harb

Postby arothafel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:57 pm

From her FaceBook Page...

arothafel

Postby geoffda » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Awesome! That's the news I was waiting for. If she makes it back in time to race at Lake Lindsey, I'm betting she wins the second Downhill and the Super G!
geoffda

Postby geoffda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:25 am

http://www.today.com/news/lindsey-vonn- ... 2D11663524

Sounds like things are progressing. The next few days should be telling as she gets back on snow...
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:34 am

I don't want to throw cold water on Vonn's return, but hoping for her to compete at the world cup level this season just isn't realistic. Especially in speed, over jumps and hard landings.
h.harb

Next

Return to Racing