Arapahoe Basin Tech Camp Info

Arapahoe Basin Tech Camp Info

Postby Diana Rogers » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello Harb Ski Campers!

We hope that you are enjoying your summer, and starting to think about the upcoming winter and ski season. If you are planning your lodging during the Arapahoe Basin Tech Camp, here is some information.

You may lodge anywhere you like during the camp. There is no lodging at Arapahoe Basin itself. The closest lodging options are at Keystone, about 10 minutes away. Most campers stay in Summit county - Keystone, Silverthorne, and Dillon. Those locations are all within a 20-minute drive of the ski area. It's easiest to get around if you have your own car.

No Car? Ride Share
If you will not have a car during camp, then we recommend that you stay at Keystone. You can shuttle there from the airport, there are several dining options within walking distance, and there is bus service from Keystone to Arapahoe Basin. The only concern with this method is that in snowy weather, the bus service may be canceled. If you are planning to be without a car, please post on the forum that you need to share a ride. Hopefully there's another camper with a car who will share with you.

Alignment Pre-days
If you are arriving early for camp and wish to have an indoor alignment session done prior to camp, we do have openings at our shop on Sunday and Monday, Nov. 14&15. [The shop is directly on your way from the airport to Keystone, but you'll need to have a car to come there.] Please call or e-mail us by early November if you wish to schedule a pre-day appointment.

Lift Tickets - Important!
Please remember when you book your lodging that we and Arapahoe Basin expect you to get group rate lift tickets through us for the camp (unless you have a season pass). Please do not purchase lift tickets with your lodging. Group ticket rates for '10-'11 are approximately $40/day.

Keystone Resort Lodging
Keystone Resort has many lodging options, from hotel to condo to cabin to B&B, all accessible on their web site. You can book lodging at Keystone online or by phone
http://www.keystoneresort.com/plan-a-va ... earch.aspx
Phone: 1-877-753-9786

Other Lodging
Other lodging options can be found on Arapahoe Basin's website:
http://www.arapahoebasin.com/
Click on “The Mountain” on the main menu, then click on “Lodging”

Let us know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Diana Rogers
V.P., Harb Ski Systems
Diana Rogers

My experience with finding lodging

Postby AnI » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:18 am

Just in case if this information will help fellow Tech Campers...

I spent several hours searching for the best price/quality ratio for lodging for the Tech Camp and ended up making a reservation at The Inn At Keystone through Orbitz. After I applied coupon code ORBITZ5 to get additional 5% off, the price came out at $305.96 including taxes for four nights plus $40 ($10/night) resort fees due upon arrival. This translates to about $85 per night after taxes and fees. I have not been to this hotel and have no personal knowledge about it, but it gets good reviews on TripAdvisor (3.5 out of 5). It looks like this price includes 40% discount for booking before September 1...

With the above mentioned coupon, the price on Orbitz is lower than on Hotwire, Travelocity, and other travel search engines which I checked. Orbitz requires full prepay but reservation is cancellable within the hotel's cancellation policy which includes a penalty for cancellation 21 days and less prior to arrival.

Andrei
AnI

Who's coming to camp?

Postby daviskpjr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello fellow campers! This will be my first PMTS camp and I can't wait for November to arrive. Thought I'd post a note about myself and ask others to do the same.

When I first inquired about camp and described my experience, Chris recommended the super blue camp and he also mentioned that I might want to check out the tech camp. Early season was appealing so I signed up.

I am not a ski instructor so my primary goal is personal skier improvement; my primary objective is learning to hold edge on steep hardpack/icy/groomed faces. I also hope to gain insight on effective teaching methods that I can use with friends and families. (After retirement--several years from now--maybe I can get serious about becoming a ski instructor.)

I am a 48-year old male with no previous formal PMTS training. I ski all-mountain and am comfortable on most terrain: carving groomers, soft crud, and powder; enjoy the glades and steep terrain (although my confidence is less in the narrow trees and tight steeps); enjoy bumps having learned a technique a few years back that enables me to use the bumps to control speed (especially on steeps). I prefer ungroomed terrain, but as noted before I want to improve my carving on steep groomed/icy terrain.

I came across PMTS quite accidentally. This past January while viewing various skiing websites (I don't recall which ones) I clicked on an online teaching tip and it led me down a trail to the Harb Ski Systems site. I was immediately intrigued by PMTS. For years I have thought that there must be a better way to teach a beginner skier than the wedge. And of course PMTS is that answer. After studying the information available on the Harbskisystem website I realized that PMTS is what I needed to achieve my goals and to become a more efficient skier. I purchased Harold's latest book and associated DVD's and began teaching myself last season. While I believe I made some progress, I know I would benefit much more through the tech camp.

Regards,

Kip Davis
daviskpjr

Return to Harb Ski Camp Information 2010-2011