Glad my Wife Demo'ed Before Buying

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Glad my Wife Demo'ed Before Buying

Postby Ourayite » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 pm

I posted earlier asking for suggestions for a first ski for my wife who is a beginning skier. I was pretty set on having a new set of skis under the Christmas tree for her but managed to restrain myself.

On Christmas morning my wife got a card with an invitation to demo some skis instead. Smart move on my part. Before I met wife she had some very bad experiences skiing with a "boyfriend" who thought it would be cool to take her up on some blacks on Snowbird for her first downhill experience. Really. Basically she was scared to death to ski as result of this guy. Over the last three seasons I have been gingerly easing her back into skiing. Last season she actually had fun at Brighton.

I was really excited at the prospect of getting her some skis this season and getting one step closer to becoming the skiing family I fantasize about. My 2 year old and 4 year old are both doing great. I was basically expecting that she would end up choosing a very tame, very forgiving ski when all was said and done. Imagine my surprise when the final selection was...... the Head FastThang SL. Hands down.

I made a point of not commenting on skis before she went out so that she could reach her own unbiased conclusions. She likes to carve.... I would never have considered this ski had I picked them out for her. She really liked the sense of control they gave her. I was tempted to talk her out of them but she skied them better than any other ski we tried, and she just loved them.

If I can get her into next years green camp I think we will soon be tearing up the slopes as a family. Can't wait.
Ourayite

Postby Belskisfast » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:57 pm

My wife has the Fast Thang SL also. She loves them!! Not just a little either she is all over them. She had been skiing the Head Cyber WC SL from 2003 and found them a bit too demanding as they are pretty stiff and require attention at all times. The Fast Thang is everything the Cyber is for her when she pushes it, and also allows her to back off and just cruise. Another fabulous Head ski. The Tahoe Demo Center shop techs told us that at the demo session they went to last year most of the guys loved the Fast Thang and they were waiting in line to ski it. It is apparantly no whimpy "girls" ski.
Belskisfast

Return to Gear