Edge/base angles

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Edge/base angles

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:45 am

Max_501 recommended a side edge angle of 3 degrees and a base edge angle of 1 degree as something good for grip in icier conditions but which doesn't get in the way elsewhere (thanks, Max_501!). Before I go and get this done, I was wondering whether any others had views or relevant experiences in this area. Also, in general, whether PMTS technique makes any particular requirements in this respect other than what would be generally recommended elsewhere (owing to a different way of thinking about edge use, for example).
JohnMoore

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:39 pm

Talking with Harald at the last camp, he recommended 2? edge angle...if the 3? edge hits a rock, sometimes too much material is chipped out. He also likes 1/2? base edge angle, although 1? might be OK on wet snow.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:07 pm

Thanks for this. I tracked down an earlier thread where Diana was recommending 1 base, 2 side. If the chipping is the only downside of the 3 degree side bevel, I may well go for it anyway, as my skis are getting near the end of their working life.
JohnMoore

Postby Icanski » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:36 pm

I asked the Stockli rep about this and finally got an answer. He suggested to go with a base of 0-.5 degrees. He said for most people a flat base is best and that a 1 degree is hard to get by hand and can be easily messed up by a machine. He recommended a 2 degree edge angle. I believe this is the way the Stocklis come from the factory. I know that my Volkls came with a 1 degree base and 2 edge.
I've wondered why some go for a steeper fro different conditions. How does a 1 degree base dig better than a flat base? Does it depend on if you're on steeps where more extreme edge angles may occur?
icanski
Icanski

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Icanski wrote:I asked the Stockli rep about this and finally got an answer. He suggested to go with a base of 0-.5 degrees. He said for most people a flat base is best and that a 1 degree is hard to get by hand and can be easily messed up by a machine. He recommended a 2 degree edge angle. I believe this is the way the Stocklis come from the factory. I know that my Volkls came with a 1 degree base and 2 edge.
I've wondered why some go for a steeper fro different conditions. How does a 1 degree base dig better than a flat base? Does it depend on if you're on steeps where more extreme edge angles may occur?
icanski

A flat base is easy to catch an edge when you least expect it. I'd put at least a 1/2 degree base bevel on the ski. A 1 degree requires more tilt but less of a chance of catching an edge. A 3 degree edge bevel will give extra hold on hard surfaces. This is how my atomics were tuned by the factory.
Max_501

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:27 am

This earlier thread gives some useful information:

http://realskiers.com/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?t=720
JohnMoore

Return to Gear