Side angle

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Side angle

Postby John Mason » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:35 am

The forum contains conflicting recommendations:

What is my optimum 'catch an edge' side angle for my skis?

I will be skiing midwest icy stuff this weekend.
John Mason

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:23 am

Either .5 base and 3 edge or 1 base and 3 edge (1 and 3 on mine).

The downside of a 3 edge is it wears a bit faster than a 2 edge but its great in icy conditions.
Max_501

thx

Postby John Mason » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:41 am

Thanks - I had been at a 2 and I know HH usually is at a 3.

I'll try 3 this time.
John Mason

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:00 pm

John. I just pulled this off Epic. Diana reccomends .5 base angle oand 2 or 3 degrees on the sides. In Tahoe and other places with lots of Heavy Snow she reccomends 1 degree on the base.

This is an explanation by someone who used to work for Volkl. It sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

I worked for Volkl for 11 years. A great deal of that time was spent at the factory.
Virtually all major manufacturers' with very few exceptions, call for a base edge bevel between .5-1.0 degree, and a side edge angle between 2-3 degree. Do they come to you this way? Some are quite close, but very few are on the money. Does it make a big difference? You bet it does.
You also must understand that just because the factory states it has 1-2 degree on the side edge, does not mean you should not change it to 2-3. 1 degree of side edge will not allow any shaped ski to be used to its full potential. The reason is the same as the "booting out" principal. You will only be able to tip the ski on edge so far until the upper part of the edge kicks out the lower part of the edge. It is that this time you will fall right on your butt.
I think most people are beginning to understand the level of commitment it takes to inclinate your body to find the ultimate carving thrill. Your ski needs to give you the confidence and trust to engage in this technique. 1 degree will not let this happen.
There are no maintenance issues regarding a 3 degree side edge. The difference in acuteness over 1.5-2mm height of the side edge is negligable. However, the difference in performance is profound. There is a tremendous amount of misinformation regarding this subject. The edge will not be more difficult to maintain, nor will it become duller any quicker than a 1 degree side edge angle.
The reality is that much of the character of all skis when tipped on edge has to do with the actual shape of the sidewall and how it interfaces with the snow surface when the ski becomes tipped on edge.
All skis become easier to drive when the base edge does not exceed 1 degree of base bevel. Why? Because the ski will engage its sidecut earlier in the initiation phase of the turn with very little effort. Resistance from the snow surface will come back into the ski allowing all the benefits of its constructuin to go to work for you. Excessive base bevels alway de-power shaped skis and create instability in turning and straight line performance. It will make you work harder to get any of the benefits the new technology has to offer.
A shaped ski that is prepared correctly should ask nothing of you, but give you everything you ask from it on command.
Good preparation creates a ski that is as forgiving as it is high performing.
Ever drive a BMW M3? Even if you have not, the reality is that these cars are cool as a cucumber in normal everyday driving. But, if you want to take it to the race track for the weekend, it will rise to the occasion. Get the picture?
Have a great season!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

thx Jbotti

Postby John Mason » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:04 pm

thanks John for the info

I'll bump it up to 3 degrees
John Mason

side angle

Postby midwif » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:25 pm

Does it matter what level of skier you are? When skis are being tuned should we specify the shop to do a 2-3 degree?
midwif

Re: side angle

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:41 pm

midwif wrote:Does it matter what level of skier you are? When skis are being tuned should we specify the shop to do a 2-3 degree?

If you ski in hardpak or icy conditions you'll appreciate the 2 or 3 degree side bevel.
Max_501

Postby Sidney » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:57 pm

If you have done a 3 degree side bevel, I would assume it would be hard to go back to 2 degrees? they would have to grind the edge down a fair bit more in order to get it back to two

For the record had my skis (Head IM.70s) at 0.7base and 2 on the side and I had no problems engaging the edge, except in ice. I've since had them tuned to 1 on the base and 2 on the side... dont know whether i will be able to tell the difference.
Sidney

Return to Gear