Hydration

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Hydration

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:43 am

How many of you ski with a hydration system like Camel Bak? Do you find it changes your balance at all?
Max_501

Camel Bak

Postby hozel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:06 am

I usually wear a ski specific model, which I believe holds 70 ounces, and do not notice it affecting my balance at all. If there is any discomfort issue, it would be while riding the chairlift.
hozel

Camelback

Postby Jim Ratliff » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:33 pm

have used the Camelback in bladder form (worn under most layers) as well as in a CamelBack ski specific backpack (current preference). Haven't noticed any balance issues with either. As someone mentioned, you need to be cautious on the lifts. As with any backpack, they can push you forward some. I also forced the hose off of the attachment one day because I forgot and was leaning too hard on the lift.

Remember to suck the excess air out of the bladder (turn it upside down) since that will minimize the size. FWIW, I sometimes drink more water at the end of the day on the ride back than during the day, so it's doubly convenient.

You will need the neoprene covers to keep them from freezing up.
Jim Ratliff

hydration

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Coming from sea level, I found the camelbak essential to skiing at altitude. At A-Basin, All mtn. camp last year, I found that even the neoprene cover did not prevent the hose from freezing. I have bought a new model for this year that has the neoprene hose inside the chest strap, which has an internal pocket for a hand warmer. I am hoping this will solve that problem.
midwif

freezing tubes

Postby John Mason » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:19 pm

I have the snow camelpak and as long as I remember to blow the water back into the bag - out of the tube - I've not had a freeze up problem in the tube.
John Mason

Postby midwif » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:47 pm

Several of us at the A-Basin camp experienced clogged, frozen camelbak tubes despite the blow-back technique. Thank god for the nice lady from Hawaii with the flask which did not freeze. She shared with fellow 'landlubbers'
midwif

Postby Max_501 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:20 pm

I have found that as long as I take frequent sips the tube will not freeze.
Max_501

midwif - did your camelpak have the insulated tube?

Postby John Mason » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:43 pm

Did yours have the insulated neoprene covered tube? Mine is the specific cold weather one and I've never had a problem if I blew it back.
John Mason

Postby Sidney » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:52 pm

Hey Max,

I ski with the Camelbak snowblast which is the orange/grey pack. Didnt find it to upset my balance, though i do notice the difference when i'm not wearing it. Most of the weight is stuck pretty close to your back anyway.

I only usually fill it up to about 1 litre so its only another kilo plus what the pack weighs. Maybe if i filled it up to the full 3 litres i would notice a difference??
Sidney

Postby midwif » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:55 pm

Yup, neoprene covered, did the blow-back. Everyone's froze after a couple of hours despite frequent sips. Happened in Sugarbush, vermont on a cold day as well. Temps in the 20's seem okay, but once in the teens or windy=no water. and I love my water.
midwif

Postby Belskisfast » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:55 am

Max I have skied with a hydration pack since '95. Originally I just used the Playtypus bag with the drink tube and kept it in my pocket...then went to the Ultimate Direction pack which was real nice but not set up for winter. Then the Snobowl Camelbac came out and it works well here in Ca. On really cold days I just wear it under my shell and it is comfortable and has never frozen. Blowback to clear the tube and bite valve is essential >20 degrees though.
Belskisfast

Postby RadRab » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:19 am

Bs"D
Has anyone tried the BCA Stash Pack?

http://bcaccess.com/bca_products/stash_packs.php

They claim it solves the problem by "stashing" the hose in the highly insulated shoulder strap.
The strange thing is that they say your body keeps it warm, rather than just the insulation. Because the strap lies on your chest??
Also, is it easy enough to open and close that compartment to get to the hose/valve and return it?
The low profile model does look sleek enough for comfort and balance, but is chairlift practicality still a question?
RadRab

Tuck it in!

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:58 am

I've got a summer biking pack from Lowe Alpine with a platypus pocket. No neoprene sleeve - all I do is do the blowback and tuck the tube in between my outside layer jacket and my inner layers. That's warm enough to keep the valve from freezing. Never had a problem unless I forget to tuck it back in after I drink!
Jim

Postby Canski1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:30 pm

Hi,
I have a BCA Stash pack. I love it. As for balance, it is so close to you, you don't even notice it's there. It's a very thin pack and the straps hold it close to you. I have only experienced some freezing once when it was really cold: -20C. I just pressed on the tube a bit and it loosened up.
If it's really cold, put the pack on under your jacket for a bit and it will warm up again. (Just make sure it doesn't cool your back down.)
I find it's very well made and works very well, too.
Another trick is to put fairly warm water in it in the morning. That takes a lot longer to freeze up in the tube and warms you up when you sip.
They make several sizes.
One last one, if it's really cold is to put a heat pack like you can stick in your gloves or boots into the strap compartment where the insulated hose goes, and that will keep the hose from freezing. I've never had the bladder freeze because there's so much movement and more warmth on the back.
They had it before camelbak.
cheers,
canski1
Canski1

Return to Gear